PDA

View Full Version : Visibility of Design Options in Linked Files

ryan.jacobs
2009-04-02, 01:24 PM
I've got a project where I am using Design Options to control visibility of a 'wing' of classrooms that will serve as an Alternate Bid. Our MEP and Structural consultants are using Design Options, too, to control the visibility of the same alternate. With their linked Revit MEP and Revit Structure files, how do I control the visibility of their Design Options in my file? Or is there a better way for consultants to break up the Base Bid portion of the work from the Alternate Bid portion of the work so it works better with visibility control in the Architecture model?

Thanks for any advice.

twiceroadsfool
2009-04-02, 01:57 PM
Design Options of Linked Files is controlled in the VG of each view in your project, independently... under the VG: RVT Links Override tab.

My recommendation is to set up a couple of view templates, one for each "option" with all of the linked files, and set the VT to ONLY affect the VG:RVT LINK Override. Then, apply the VT's to all relevant views AND SCHEDULES in your project.

I HAVE had trouble with it working correctly, however. For some reason, the last time i tried it, it would not allow me to select that VT from the list to apply it to other views. But i am certain i did it before in the same project, so im not sure if something changed before WU3 of 2009, or if its something i did in the file...

eric.piotrowicz
2009-04-02, 02:02 PM
I have also come across this situation and while you can control the visibility of linked DOs its not as nice as I'd like it to be. Anyway what you need to do is go to your V/G settings and switch to the Revit Links tab, then in the display setting column pick the link from your MEP crew and this will open a new window to control the visibility of your linked file. On the Basics tab pick the Custom setting near the top. Then switch to the DO tab and pick Custom from the pull down near the top. Now you can change what DO is displayed from the link file.
Additionally if you switch to any of the other tabs and pick Custom you can control element visibility by category.
Hope this gets you where you need to go.

ryan.jacobs
2009-04-02, 03:41 PM
Should the control of their 'Worksets' work the same, too?....Under the Revit Links tab there is no option for worksets....how do I control those? They've put some of their items on worksets that I'd like to be able to turn on in some views.

Thanks for the replies, by the way!

twiceroadsfool
2009-04-02, 03:49 PM
You cannot control the VISIBILITY of Linked File Worksets. You can only Load/unload them in the workset dialogue, globally.

Its ont of the reasons i despise files with Worksets for visibility control. :)