PDA

View Full Version : Revit 2009 export to Navisworks

azmz3
2009-04-02, 03:22 PM
I am currently running Revit 2009 64bit, and for this current project we are working on, the contractor is requiring all models to be uploaded to there site, but in NWD format. I have downloaded the NavisWorks Manage 2009 Trial from Autodesk, and it supposedly installed the 64bit exporter plugin, to export from Revit. When i go to "Tools>External Tools" there is no NavisWorks exporter tool there. I know this is the location it should be in, and even with the trial, you should still get the exporter. has anyone else run into this and found a solution? After I installed NavisWorks I restarted my system, and still nothing.

Merlin
2009-04-03, 04:00 AM
I am currently running Revit 2009 64bit, and for this current project we are working on, the contractor is requiring all models to be uploaded to there site, but in NWD format. I have downloaded the NavisWorks Manage 2009 Trial from Autodesk, and it supposedly installed the 64bit exporter plugin, to export from Revit. When i go to "Tools>External Tools" there is no NavisWorks exporter tool there. I know this is the location it should be in, and even with the trial, you should still get the exporter. has anyone else run into this and found a solution? After I installed NavisWorks I restarted my system, and still nothing.

I thought the idea with NAVISWORKS was to import in the REVIT model in .rvt file format.

m20roxxers
2009-04-03, 04:27 AM
Did Navisworks pick up the your Revit?

did you select the Revit 2009 plugin option.

Merlin, Navsiworks allows multiple consultants to update models into a complete project. Therefore when you load a revit file into Navisworks it compresses the file (think 90mb down to 3-5mb) so you can't get this information bi-directional.
It would be nice if navisworks eventually came out with a check in check out system which you could load information or parts of a project back into Revit for modelling.

Merlin
2009-04-03, 05:12 AM
Did Navisworks pick up the your Revit?

did you select the Revit 2009 plugin option.

Merlin, Navsiworks allows multiple consultants to update models into a complete project. Therefore when you load a revit file into Navisworks it compresses the file (think 90mb down to 3-5mb) so you can't get this information bi-directional.
It would be nice if navisworks eventually came out with a check in check out system which you could load information or parts of a project back into Revit for modelling.

Hi,
Yes, It was only 2 days ago we had a visit from our local re-seller giving a demo of it. I thought he intimated that Navisworks just imported the the .rvt file...are you saying this isn't correct?

Scott Womack
2009-04-03, 10:59 AM
That is currently correct. Someone would have to have both Revit and Navisworks on a machine, to load the Revit File, and then export it to the .NWC file format for Navisworks to be able to work with it.

azmz3
2009-04-03, 12:25 PM
Navisworks recognized it was a 64bit system and installed the 64bit exporter. when installing Navisworks, there is nothing about Revit in the install screen.Revit should recognize that Navisworks is installed and add the option in the "Tool" drop down menu.

Scott Womack
2009-04-03, 12:30 PM
I could be wrong, but I don't believe it would appear in the Toold Menu at all. The Navisworks plug-in is an export plugin, so it should appear as another option under File/Export either as another menu item there, or possibly as another file format under CAD. Hopefuly someone who has both will chime in.

twiceroadsfool
2009-04-03, 12:56 PM
It goes under the Tools > External Tools drop down menu, when it installs.

I may be wrong, since its been a WHILE since ive done the install myself (The IT crew here does it) but i thought after you installed Navis you had to go edit a txt file or something for Revit to recognize the exporter... But that may be especs im thinking of...

Dwane Lindsey
2009-04-03, 03:01 PM
When you install the exporter, it should be modifying your Revit.ini file to add the Export option to the Tools->External Tools pull-down option in Revit 2009. You should not have to do this manually. Make sure your Revit is closed when you install the exporter so it can write to the Revit.ini file. The Export plug-in adds info the Revit.ini to give you the pull-down menu option, it will NOT give you an option in the File->Export->CAD Formats.

Navisworks does NOT read a RVT directly. You have to export your model from within Revit...either using the export option via the pull-down, which only exports out a NWC file, or export a 3D view to AutoCAD, then bring the dwg into Navisworks.