PDA

View Full Version : A recipe to deal with problems downloading/installing 7.0 content.

LRaiz
2004-10-25, 10:01 PM
Several people have run into problems downloading and installing 7.0 content. While web masters are figuring out how to fix the problem below is the recipe that worked for my installation at home. I think it should work for you as well.

Step 1
Find Content.rcl file in the Program folder of your Revit 7.0 installation. This file is a text file that controls content installation. Use Notepad (or other text editor) to open this file.

Inside the file you will find a series of content bundles descriptions. Below is an example of one of such bundle - English Help Files.

[Bundle_ENUHelp.cab_49]
language=ENU
units=[any]
name=English Help
locale=[any]
type=Help
size=4.9MB
filename=ENUHelp.cab
minorVersion=0
majorVersion=6
description=English Help Files
usage=[any]
fullpath=http://revit.autodesk.com/download/7_0/ContentENU/ENUHelp.cab
altfullpath=C:Program FilesAutodesk Revit 7.0DownloadContentENUENUHelp.cab

For our purposes we are interested in just the last line that contains value of altfullpath.

Step 2
Open content download page (http://revit.autodesk.com/7.0/common/DownloadContent.asp?en-us)

For every bundle found in Content.rcl file manually download corresponding cab file and place it into folder as indicated by altfullpath variable for this bundle. Pay attention - some files go into ContentENU folder while others go into ContentAll.

Step 3
Close Content.rcl file and Start Revit 7.0. Revit will first complain about missing template and libraries and then ask you if you want to attempt to install them. Answer Yes. Then Revit will ask you for an installation CD (which you don't have). This is OK, just let it run. Revit will find cabinet files that you just downloaded and will extract all the necessary content files to complete the installation. Exit Revit and start it again. This time there should be no error messages - you are all set.

gregcashen
2004-10-25, 10:17 PM
I have "sticked" this message until this issue gets sorted out.

WolffG
2004-10-26, 01:07 AM
Thank you....worked like a charm.

Les Therrien
2004-10-26, 01:41 AM
i can't seem to locate this file!

beegee
2004-10-26, 03:11 AM
Hmmm, looks like I should have come here first before trying to install the content this morning. :mrgreen:

SkiSouth
2004-10-26, 02:52 PM
Not to be impolite, but just WHAT are you guys using to feed this stuff out with. I mean 47 MEGS in 10 SECONDS? - I'm impressed..

tatlin
2004-10-26, 02:54 PM
Not to be impolite, but just WHAT are you guys using to feed this stuff out with. I mean 47 MEGS in 10 SECONDS? - I'm impressed..
good to hear download times are back to normal. The servers got hit pretty hard yesterday but they're holding their own today.

fernando
2004-10-27, 09:54 PM
i download , install everything and , voilá...i had Revit 7 working......cool

BUT , rendering don't work.......badddd
every time i start Revit i receive a message
"The AccuRender rendering feature is not available because the AccuRender material library could not be found......bla ..blaa..."
i check the accurender.mlib and it is in the correct path, as i use to had in 6.1
any help?? pleaseeeee

Kevin Janik
2004-10-29, 09:50 PM
Has the installation problem noted above been fixed yet? I plan on load 7.0 in the next hour if possible but would rather not have to go through the above to do it.

beegee
2004-10-29, 09:58 PM
Not everyone was experiencing a problem, just a few it seems.

There have not been any recent reports of download problems, so you should be OK.

bclarch
2004-11-01, 03:48 PM
In my case the .cab files were on my computer but the program still reported them as having invalid data. I simply deleted the two .cab files from my computer and started 7.0. It recognized that the files were missing and asked if it should try to find them. I said yes and it automatically downloaded and reinstalled them. So, even if you have difficulties it should be easy enough to fix.

mmodernc
2004-11-04, 09:49 AM
When is the next build of Revit 7.0 due? Is this the one that will be on the CD?

Steve Cashman
2004-11-04, 04:25 PM
In my case the .cab files were on my computer but the program still reported them as having invalid data. I simply deleted the two .cab files from my computer and started 7.0. It recognized that the files were missing and asked if it should try to find them. I said yes and it automatically downloaded and reinstalled them. So, even if you have difficulties it should be easy enough to fix.
I had the same problems. I found that the files were in fact invalid - not complete downloads. When I manually downloaded the content and compared, the files were just a touch smaller. After and replaced the bad files, all installations went fine.

sbrown
2004-11-05, 01:25 PM
Is there a way to download the cab files and put them in a certain folder so when revit does the install it finds them and extracts them for you into the right place? I currently have to manually extract all the files and its a pain for loading up laptops, etc.

bclarch
2004-11-05, 04:14 PM
Is there a way to download the cab files and put them in a certain folder so when revit does the install it finds them and extracts them for you into the right place? I currently have to manually extract all the files and its a pain for loading up laptops, etc.
I'm assuming that the instructions in Leonid's initial post aren't working for you. If that is the case then we need more info regarding your setup to try and diagnose things for you.