PDA

View Full Version : sweep vs modeling

philipnoland
2009-04-03, 04:30 PM
I have been using sweeps forever to get my trim and really don't have a problem with the tools. The only problem that occurs is when the wall is not modeled properly in the first place. Trim and other sweeps disappear when a wall get re-worked. My boss thought it would be beneficial to model all the trim. Now I get to go and align a bunch of stuff. yeah!!

I understand that he is trying to eliminate the problem of sweeps disappearing but I think it might be a little counterproductive.

Thoughts on this anyone?

Thanks

Andre Carvalho
2009-04-03, 04:37 PM
If you are using wall hosted sweeps, they should move with the wall, whenever the wall moves...

Andre Carvalho

philipnoland
2009-04-03, 04:44 PM
Aren't all sweeps wall hosted. I just wonder why anyone would want to model their trim vertically or horizontally.....when wall sweeps work just fine IMHO If someone gives me a good reason I may believe my boss but right now I am having to deal with a bunch of modeled trim that is annoying me and looking for other points of view on this subject. I have been using the sweep tool for 6 years now and he goes and changes it on me. And I'm like why? why would you do that.

is modeling all that really saving any time?

what do you think? seriously does anyone model all the corner trim and bellybands on a building.

philipnoland
2009-04-03, 04:50 PM
Let me refine my point for clarity's sake.

When we start a project walls will sometimes go from FFE and attach to the roof. Right? of course that a real simple way of concepting a building on the fly. Well when we get into CDs we usually like to split the walls up just as if they were built. I find it helps with detailing the floor pack and any wall sections. Isn't the rule model it like it would be built. I now there are drafting tricks and masking trick but I like to see it correct. So when we are concepting and puting trim on a building then going into CDs walls move and they mess with the trim. That is why I say if it is modeled correctly then the sweeps will stay in place but if it isn't then they get screwed with.

philipnoland
2009-04-03, 04:53 PM
sorry for the multiple posts in a row here is an image.

Ridiculous huh?

dsw98
2009-04-03, 04:58 PM

Ridiculous huh?

If you're just talking about Window Trims and corner trims. I've actually created several families with my most used trims, They work much better than sweeps, and saves a ton of time for future projects.

Andre Carvalho
2009-04-03, 05:06 PM

Ridiculous huh?

Are all those trims built as in place families?! If yes, you should definitely avoid it. Build them as wall hosted families or as part of windows head or sill. Then if you ever move your wall, they will follow.

Andre Carvalho

philipnoland
2009-04-03, 05:07 PM
its a family though, right? wall hosted. maybe thats what Andre was talking about. What I have shown is an inplace extrusion. I do use protrim on my windows and doors but never thoguth to use a family for corner trim. That does make sense. I have just become accustom to sweeps for belly bands and vert trim.

dsw98
2009-04-03, 05:14 PM
its a family though, right? wall hosted. maybe thats what Andre was talking about. What I have shown is an inplace extrusion. I do use protrim on my windows and doors but never thoguth to use a family for corner trim. That does make sense. I have just become accustom to sweeps for belly bands and vert trim.

My window trims are a wall based Generic Family, my corner trims are just a generic family so i can put them anywhere I want.

philipnoland
2009-04-03, 05:42 PM
I think I am going to try a wall hosted trim with size parameters. I will try to post it. Unless you know of one that you could share with me?

Thanks for discussing,

P

dsw98
2009-04-03, 05:48 PM
I think I am going to try a wall hosted trim with size parameters. I will try to post it. Unless you know of one that you could share with me?

Thanks for discussing,

P

Here's my very basic window trim, You have size paremeters and a material parameter as well.