PDA

View Full Version : Cannot edit text field below dimension

mmiles
2009-04-07, 03:11 PM
Can anyone tell me why the text field below my dimension is not editable? Secondly, I cannot determine what the dimension listed in the text field is referencing - any thoughts?

thanks.

twiceroadsfool
2009-04-07, 03:23 PM
That dimension string is touching a window somewhere, yes? It does that when you touch windows, as its showing some other property of the Window (Sill Height, maybe?)

Props to Scott Womack for pointing that out to me. :)

patricks
2009-04-07, 03:32 PM
Dimensions have a property to display an opening height value, which will show up for windows or doors in the field below the dimension value.

mmiles
2009-04-07, 03:51 PM
Yes, it is connected to a cased opening (door family). thanks.

That actually is pretty helpful to have that listed. Is there a way to get it to display? Or, is it really intended as an added conduit to gather information about objects?

patricks
2009-04-07, 03:58 PM
Yes, it is connected to a cased opening (door family). thanks.

That actually is pretty helpful to have that listed. Is there a way to get it to display? Or, is it really intended as an added conduit to gather information about objects?

It's a type property of dimensions. Keep in mind that it will read any family that has a "Height" parameter in it.

I have seen plan drawings dimensioned with the height of an opening shown below the width of the opening in the dimension string. It's just another drafting convention that Revit accommodates.

mmiles
2009-04-07, 08:23 PM
Question though: how do I get that field to be visible? Is there a toggle button or something to turn it on?

cporter.207875
2009-04-07, 08:41 PM
There is a switch under the text category of the dimension's type properties to show opening height.

patricks
2009-04-07, 09:22 PM
As long as the dimensions are attached to the reference planes on either side of an object with a "Height" parameter in the family, then that field below your dimension text will be filled with the Height value of that family. You can display it or not, but you cannot edit that field in that instance.

Any time a dimension string references 2 ref. planes in the same family, and there is a height parameter in that family, that field below the text will be locked out. You can dimension to the center or to one side of the family only, with the other end of the dimension going to something else, and then you can edit that field.