PDA

View Full Version : Override Wall patterns per view

mr6jam
2009-04-07, 03:34 PM
How can I override the wall pattern of all walls created in "new construction phase" for just one particular view? In this particular view I need to show the walls as having a light grey solid fill pattern for presentation purposes. As is now, some of the new constructed walls have a particular pattern for full height and other new walls have another pattern for cmu. Any suggestions guys? Thanks!!!

patricks
2009-04-07, 03:43 PM
How can I override the wall pattern of all walls created in "new construction phase" for just one particular view? In this particular view I need to show the walls as having a light grey solid fill pattern for presentation purposes. As is now, some of the new constructed walls have a particular pattern for full height and other new walls have another pattern for cmu. Any suggestions guys? Thanks!!!

Is this a plan view and you need to override the cut pattern of the walls? If so, then just set the view to Coarse, and override the visibility/graphics settings for Walls in that view to make the cut pattern have a solid fill in the color you want.

If it's an elevation and you need to change the surface pattern, then do the same as above, but you don't need to change the view's detail level.

greg.mcdowell
2009-04-07, 03:46 PM
Sounds like you're viewing walls in course detail. Default CMU walls so a cross hatch but the others show a solid grey. Change each wall type to show what you need in the type parameters. Can't remember what it's called but it will be obvious.

patricks
2009-04-07, 04:03 PM
Sounds like you're viewing walls in course detail. Default CMU walls so a cross hatch but the others show a solid grey. Change each wall type to show what you need in the type parameters. Can't remember what it's called but it will be obvious.

That will change all coarse detail views. If that is needed then fine, but it also can take a bit of time if there are lots of wall types to change.

If you only need it like that in one single view, then V/G overrides are by far the easiest.

mr6jam
2009-04-07, 04:24 PM
RESPONSE TO PATRICKS:

But it sounds like it will change all walls in that plan view, I just need to make the walls created in "new construction" to change

mr6jam
2009-04-07, 04:25 PM

But if I do that it will affect walls in all plan views correct?

Scott Womack
2009-04-07, 06:56 PM
You cannot use a View Filter and use Phase as a selection basis. Either the Existing walls, or the New construction walls needs to be on a different workset. View Filters can use Workset as a selection criteria.

mr6jam
2009-04-07, 07:16 PM
GOOD POINT! I will try this and let you know. Thanks!

mr6jam
2009-04-07, 07:38 PM
Thisi forum ROCKS!!! Its a great feeling when you finally SCORE! Thaks alot!

patricks
2009-04-07, 07:58 PM
I don't think I would do separate worksets for things on different phases, at least not the way we set up our worksets.

I would just select all new walls and override the cut pattern in that view using the right-click override menu.

mr6jam
2009-04-07, 08:21 PM
OMG, that is an even easier way. Good to know I have options!

Thanks!

patricks
2009-04-07, 09:27 PM
Yes, the individual element overrides added in RAC 2008 greatly increased our flexibility as far what is visible and not visible in our drawings.

Scott Womack
2009-04-08, 10:20 AM
Yes, the individual element overrides added in RAC 2008 greatly increased our flexibility as far what is visible and not visible in our drawings.

Patrick, I agree this is a little easier option, but since things change during both the time when a number of people are working on a project, and during the construction of the building itself, my personal experience is that when using your method, at some point someone (could even be me 6 months later) will forget to change a wall added later, or split a wall creating a new wall with a new element ID and that wall will not look correct in that view. By taking a little extra time up-front, and setting the filters up correctly, it saves a lot of time later looking through a large set of documents, looking for things like I described. If the Revit model "lives" and is changed beyond "out to bid" then automation becomes even more critical.

aaronrumple
2009-04-08, 02:39 PM

..and can be a real cad management nighmare when things go awol.
(Schedule says you have 10 of those. Drawings show only 8 - becase someone decided to hide a couple.)

patricks
2009-04-08, 03:46 PM
When in doubt... show hidden elements. I always do that if I suspect something fishy going on. :)