PDA

View Full Version : Lineweights

ROBinHI
2009-04-09, 12:16 AM
What is the best practice setting lineweights? I am trying to setup templates and match our AutoCAD lineweights.

Do you keep the object style lineweights to what Revit assigns and then change the lineweights themselves? or are you allowed to manipulate the object styles lineweight numbers?

Also, does transferring project standards bring over only lineweights or does it also adopt the object styles lineweight settings as well?

nnguyen
2009-04-09, 12:32 AM
What is the best practice setting lineweights? I am trying to setup templates and match our AutoCAD lineweights.

Do you keep the object style lineweights to what Revit assigns and then change the lineweights themselves? or are you allowed to manipulate the object styles lineweight numbers?

Also, does transferring project standards bring over only lineweights or does it also adopt the object styles lineweight settings as well?

we have kept the lineweights the way they are set up in Revit because it works out when plotting the drawings. We then change the object style lineweights in the template file to our standard.

when doing tranferring project standards, i believe revit only copies over what is considered "new" unless you say overwrite them (if that is an option for linetypes, not sure about lineweights).

I would do a test with your plotter by creating linestyles 1 through 16 in a view and plot them to see if those lines are what you expect and compare them to a printed ACAD file. if not, then manipulate the lineweights until you get the result for the line types you want. that is if your office is really keen to making things exactly like CAD for Revit...but mind you, they might not be exact.

again, we just kept the lineweights the way they are and adjusted the object styles to what we find was the best match.

good luck!

dsimmons.189339
2009-04-09, 02:52 PM
We have tried to use the revit default lineweights but because the linestyle list grows so large on a project have decided a method of using lineweights 1-16 for things like detailing and items in which when exported to autocad does not need to have much cad specific controls by other consultants. We chose this because they are at the top of the list and convienience of selecting them in the list.

I wish the default lineweights in revit would be grouped togather better. They tend to get lost in the list of autocad converted items etc.

For things like site plans where lines need to have alot of control by multiple disciplines we have continued to use the AIA v2 naming standards. for standard drafting items.

For the modeling aspect we have tried to use the default revit object styles unless additional control is needed.