PDA

View Full Version : Is Revit 2010 Faster on your PC?

Alex Page
2009-04-10, 01:12 AM
Revit 2010 is definately slower on my PC (with hardware acceleration on) than R2009

Video Card: Nvidea FX570
Driver Version (latest): 7.15.11.8246 (using default settings)

I see a marked performance degradation in most cases including:
Opening up a sheet with lots of details (takes, say 5 seconds instead of ~3)
Opening up/ spinning/ zooming in a 3d model
Turning on Shadows

Anyone else?

Also noted its a lot more RAM hungrey - upgraded project when opened in R2010 uses 1.3Gb of RAM compared to 950Mb for same project in R2009

iankids
2009-04-10, 02:59 AM
In my case, whilst I don't have a definitive set of comparable numbers, it certainly feels faster.

In 3d shaded mode with shadows on, 2009 was very clunky when rotating the model, whereas 2010 obits very smoothly.

Pentium Duo Core processor
8mb ram
Vista 64
Revit 64 bit
ATI Radeon x1650 video card - latest drivers

Cheers,

Ian

Jun Austria
2009-04-10, 05:19 AM
In my case, whilst I don't have a definitive set of comparable numbers, it certainly feels faster.

In 3d shaded mode with shadows on, 2009 was very clunky when rotating the model, whereas 2010 obits very smoothly.

Pentium Duo Core processor
8mb ram
Vista 64
Revit 64 bit
ATI Radeon x1650 video card - latest drivers

Cheers,

Ian

How does the "walk" perform. Any closer to Archicad's explore?

BomberAIA
2009-04-10, 11:21 AM
Has anyone installed 2010 on a Mac using Parallels? I've download 2010 but haven't installed it. I've ordered another 8 gigs of ram for my Mac Pro but I maxed out my MacBook Pro with 3. I plan on installing Vista 64 on my Mac Pro. What video configuration is everyone using? Open GL, Direct X?

Scott Womack
2009-04-10, 01:08 PM
What video configuration is everyone using? Open GL, Direct X? Revit 2010 no longer supports OpenGL at all. It is supporting only DirectX

fernando
2009-04-10, 01:32 PM
I use a old HP nx9420
Intel T2400 @1,83Ghz 2Gb Ram
ATI M Radeon X1600

With the activation of DirectX it works faster than 2009, specially moving around 3D views, but even open and closing files, and working in plan views.

Andre Carvalho
2009-04-10, 02:05 PM
I'm using the new i7 processor from Intel and have both Revit 2009 and 2010. Using the same project, 2010 seems faster than 2009. Also, the new DirectX is way faster than OpenGL. Turning on shadows on 2009 will "kill" any possibility of rotating my project in a 3D view. In 2010, same project with shadows ON, believe it or not, is almost as fast as if the shadows were off. DirectX is set to ON, by the way.

Andre Carvalho

michael.12445
2009-04-10, 08:52 PM
Our in-house Revit expert was a beta tester for 2010. She reported it was much slower saving to a workset than 2009, which (along with the ribbon UI) was one of her big complaints. Of course that was the beta version, I haven't heard anything about the official release.

iankids
2009-04-11, 12:37 AM
How does the "walk" perform. Any closer to Archicad's explore?

Interestingly, I cannot detect any noticeable difference in the walk through's from 2009 to 2010. Both seem equally clunky and nowhere near as smooth (even in hidden line mode) than:
http://video.google.com.au/videosearch?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&hs=HVR&ei=sOXfSZmcAZCZkQWNnf3TCw&resnum=0&q=walkthrough%20archicad&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wv#

Cheers,

Ian

Jun Austria
2009-04-11, 04:31 AM
Interestingly, I cannot detect any noticeable difference in the walk through's from 2009 to 2010. Both seem equally clunky and nowhere near as smooth (even in hidden line mode) than:
http://video.google.com.au/videosearch?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&hs=HVR&ei=sOXfSZmcAZCZkQWNnf3TCw&resnum=0&q=walkthrough%20archicad&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wv#

Cheers,

Ian

Oh my. I was hoping for a improvement on this. Hoping I can show my client a walkthrough without rendering it.

Scott D Davis
2009-04-11, 05:48 AM

Cheers,

Ian

Walkthroughs using the Steering wheel with Walk and Look are hugely improved on my machine. Using walk and look with shadows on and virtually no lag...

iankids
2009-04-11, 07:01 AM
Walkthroughs using the Steering wheel with Walk and Look are hugely improved on my machine. Using walk and look with shadows on and virtually no lag...

Using the steering wheel, the walk through is certainly improved. Unlike Scott, my machine still has a bit of lag even in hidden line mode no shadows. In my case when in shaded mode and shadows on even when using the Steering Wheel the walk through is still quite clunky.

For myself as I don't often use this feature, it is no big deal, however when I do us it, I set up the walk through before the meeting so I can tweak the views of the camera at each point along the walk through path. Thus when showing the client I am not using the Steering Wheel but rather the pre set walk through. Again as a general perception, I think it is better but still not great.

Cheers,

Ian

ntnik
2009-04-14, 08:27 PM
question about the MAC.......have always used PC, would maybe prefer MAC for my home (moonlight use).....seems to work OK?.....may buy own 2010 soon......any issues with importing /exporting acad files with MAC?

i have a few projects i kept in 2008 (a few large ones).....i was always afraid (oddly superstitious) after the documents were out getting back into it them and upgrading the files to 2009, for issuing suplemental drawings and revisions.....am i being silly????......seems like with 2010 coming, i may just have to bring all the old files along

RobG
2009-04-14, 09:34 PM
question about the MAC.......have always used PC, would maybe prefer MAC for my home (moonlight use).....seems to work OK?.....may buy own 2010 soon......any issues with importing /exporting acad files with MAC?

i have a few projects i kept in 2008 (a few large ones).....i was always afraid (oddly superstitious) after the documents were out getting back into it them and upgrading the files to 2009, for issuing suplemental drawings and revisions.....am i being silly????......seems like with 2010 coming, i may just have to bring all the old files along

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that "most" people are on PCs seeing as it's definitly not designed with Macs in mind. with that said, using bootcamp on a mac is always at your own risk. Though i'm a believer that Revit is the superior product, i'm curious none the less if you've looked into ArchiCAD seeing as it's fully dual-platform designed.

All that to say, i don't see why it wouldn't work as Bootcamp in general is just like using a PC. best of luck in your decision to change over.

ntnik
2009-04-14, 10:02 PM
i appreciate the input....i am balking though