PDA

View Full Version : 2010 - first fatal error

patricks
2009-04-13, 03:05 PM
Just installed 2010 about an hour ago and already got my first fatal error.

I was trying to set up a 2010 office template, and I linked in my Revit Origin CAD file (200' circle centered on coordinates 0,0). I selected the elevation marks in the plan view, moved them slightly to get it centered, and then hit Escape a couple of times to deselect the elevation marks. Then BAM fatal error upon one of the Escape keystrokes.

Report already sent to Autodesk.

Scott Womack
2009-04-13, 03:34 PM
2010 should not need the CAD origin file linked in at all. 2010 includes new tools for setting a site origin, but this can also be used to set the 0,0,0 origin to where you want it.

Les Therrien
2009-04-13, 03:34 PM
Hmmm......Autodesk traditions!

Oh the nostalgia! :-)

patricks
2009-04-13, 04:11 PM
2010 should not need the CAD origin file linked in at all. 2010 includes new tools for setting a site origin, but this can also be used to set the 0,0,0 origin to where you want it.

I guess I'm just a perfectionist, but I like the default N/S/E/W elevation marks to point directly at the origin, and by default they're a bit off.

But that's beside the point. The point is, I got a fatal error after pressing escape to deselect a few objects after moving them. NOT a good way to start off.

patricks
2009-04-13, 06:04 PM
Major, major problems going on here. I have no clue what it's related to.

I'm just trying to create a new template file from a blank file. I have placed elevations, renamed them, stretched their extents, tried to open an elevation, and I keep getting a fatal error at seemingly random times during that process. It doesn't specifically happen during a particular operation. One time it just up and gave me a fatal error with no other input from me.

twiceroadsfool
2009-04-13, 06:10 PM
Patricks-

Im getting in to it now to mimic your activities to see if it gives me any grief.

What i found when 2009 was released though, was the "random fatal error with no input from user" was related to the driver for the graphics card. In some cases, we had to roll them BACK a version. We could literally turn on Revit and not touch the machine, and after a few minutes it would fatal error.

Other times it would happen: Press and drag, zooming, rotating, etc.

Rolled the driver back one version, all was right with the world...

twiceroadsfool
2009-04-13, 06:23 PM
Went in, imported some DWG's, placed some elevations, did a ton of press and drags, stretched extents, cancelled a bunch of commands... Put in some walls and roofs, turned on shadows and spun it around a whole bunch of times.

I havent gotten it to freeze up yet, but i suppose it doesnt mean anything either way.

ATI FireGL 3400 here, with the following driver info:

2d driver version: 6.14.10.6755
Direct3D Version: 6.14.10.0549
OpenGL Version: 6.14.10.7165

patricks
2009-04-13, 06:58 PM
I installed the latest driver for my Quadro FX550 card from nVIDIA, and still had a fatal error happen again.

I turned off hardware acceleration, and so far it seems to be okay, but I haven't gotten into it much yet.

I was really hoping I would be able to use hardware acceleration, though. :(

twiceroadsfool
2009-04-13, 07:02 PM
I would honestly try going BACK a few drivers, just for kicks. I have an older Nvidia QuadroFX 3400 at home, and its running fine with HA/Direct3D on, without incident.

But when 2009 came out, we had a few issues with it, and it was the LATEST drivers that were having trouble. We rolled back a version or 2, and thats when things started to stabilize...

cliff collins
2009-04-13, 07:10 PM
If I remember correctly, RAC 2010 now uses Direct X and not Open GL.

I suspect a Graphics Setting and/or video card is causing Patricks' crashing..........

Running RAC 2010 64 bit here--so far so good; no crashes on a 22 story tower project
we are "converting' from 2009..............

cheers.......

patricks
2009-04-13, 07:27 PM
I'm running a Quadro FX550 graphics card which, as far as I know, supports Direct3D.

Scott Womack
2009-04-14, 10:01 AM
I'm not positive that Direct3D and DirectX are the same thing, but I am certainly not an expert. I imported a detached copy of the 100 meg file I have been working on, and it imported in less than 15 minutes, and has been rock stable, on both the office and home machines.Both have Nvidia graphics cards.I believe the office is a Quadro FX 1500, and the home is a Quadro FX 1700

patricks
2009-04-14, 12:34 PM
If I go to my nVIDIA control panel, there are adjustments with a preview window. At the top it says "This page allows you to preview changes you make to the image and rendering settings. These will be your default settings for your hardware-accelerated 3D applications that utilize Direct3D or OpenGL." So I would assume that my card supports Direct3D.

jeffh
2009-04-14, 12:37 PM
I'm not positive that Direct3D and DirectX are the same thing, but I am certainly not an expert.

Direct3D is the graphics portion of the DirectX implementation. DirectX covers more than just the graphic display sysyem.

patricks
2009-04-14, 01:15 PM
Okay, I looked on the nVIDIA website for Partner Certified drivers for my FX550 card. For Autodesk, it lists Revit among all the other Autodesk products, and the 162.65 driver for WinXP 32-bit, dated November 2007. I'm pretty certain that's not specific to Revit 2010, though. It does say it supports DirectX 9.0c as well as OpenGL 2.1.

Now I don't remember what version I had before yesterday, but I do remember updating it a few months ago, sometime in 2008. I updated the driver again yesterday to the 182.46 driver dated March 2009. I had the fatal error problems both before and after updating the driver yesterday.

Now that I have rolled back to the 162.65 driver, it seems to be rolling along at the moment.

twiceroadsfool
2009-04-14, 01:17 PM
Thats exactly what happened with our Quadro cards in 2009 too. Glad it seems to be working out for you. :)

patricks
2009-04-14, 01:20 PM
I spoke too soon, as usual. :roll: I had opened the default template, started to place a wall, changed the wall type, and clicked in the box to change the wall height. BAM another fatal error. :banghead:

cliff collins
2009-04-14, 01:28 PM
Sounds like it's time to re-install.......................

we have not had any of these problems.

cheers.........

patricks
2009-04-14, 01:32 PM
Reinstall 2010? I would be grateful if the solution turns out to be that simple.

When I was running the latest nVIDIA driver yesterday and this morning, I also noticed that upon launching 2010, there would be a tiny little window in the middle of the Recent Files window, with the Windows "X" (close window) button in it. I have no clue what that could have been. Sometimes I could click the X button to get rid of it, but sometimes it wouldn't respond.

Also, I currently have the program running in trial mode, since I don't have a Product Key number, and I don't know where to find it other than the DVD box that actually gets shipped to us. I wouldn't think that should be an issue. Indeed, someone trying it out might be turned off by all the errors if that were actually the cause, and registering it actually fixed the problem.