PDA

View Full Version : wall opening and wall extensions

a.hayward
2009-04-13, 04:26 PM
I created wall openings for curtain walls, as embedded curtain walls don't clean up the corners. Now I need top and base extensions for my cladding material, but this will also show on my wall openings, instead of only at the top and bottom of the wall..
Any suggestions?

a.hayward
2009-04-15, 06:33 PM
I now did the wall opening with a family, but of course I have the wall and the curtain wall on top of each other, which gives me warnings all the time...will that cause any problems down the road?
Also are the opening families hard to manipulate, when you don't know the exact dimension yet....

..is there someone that can give me some advice?

Thanks!

Scott Womack
2009-04-16, 09:55 AM
Most of the more experienced family "creators" end up creating a family to create wall openings, that is a Generic Model Family, or in some instances a Door family. That way you don't get "warnings" about duplicate walls. Also, I don't create an opening in the wall for imbedded curtainwalls. If the two curtainwalls meet at a corner, I'll just create an inplace void to cut that small portion of the cirnet that sometimes does not clean up.

As to the warnings causing problems later? Yes, and no. IF those are the only warnings you every have in the project no problem. But, as warnings accumulate, and are not corrected/addressed. it will eventually lead to a severe slowdown in the performance of your file. Loys of warnings also means that it will take far fewer AutoCAD files linked, or imported, to cause the file to become unstable and start crashing a lot.

a.hayward
2009-04-16, 03:31 PM
Thanks! I think I made everything very complicated with my openings.
Now I embedded the curtain wall in the wall. At the corners I tried to clean up the "leftover" wall with an void extrusion, which worked fine at the first corner, but at the second one I am left with a yellow shaded extrusion piece, even after I cut the wall.... what does that mean?

cliff collins
2009-04-16, 03:45 PM
Have you tried Cut Geometry? Pick the Wall to be cut, then select the "embedded"
curtainwall to Cut the wall?

cheers..........

a.hayward
2009-04-16, 07:12 PM
..no, that doesn't cut it.
I am getting a bit desperate, so I could do hide in view, but that seems like cheating.

Annegret

eldad
2009-04-17, 12:48 AM
you could try and edit the wall profile to cut the opening out. can you post an image of what you want to join in plan?

Alex Page
2009-04-17, 06:26 AM
you could try and edit the wall profile to cut the opening out.

I agree- do this

embed curtain wall as you have
edit wall profile

If its not a huge complicated project lock the edit-wall-profile lines to the curtain wall - works like a dream

Note you only have to do this for one wall - not the other wall around the corner!

a.hayward
2009-04-20, 01:33 PM
Hello all, thanks for your input..
I tried to edit my wall profile, but then I run into problems with my wall extensions again.
I attach a screenshot:

the two upper floors sho that starnge yellow shaded void leftover, the other corner works fine though.
And the floor below I edited the wall profile, but then I have a whole appears from the wall extension.

Thanks to everybody who has a look at this..

Annegret

eldad
2009-04-20, 10:40 PM
mmm, not sure what's going on there, I did this type of construction before with no issues.
I would not use a void.
there are 2 ways (maybe more) that you can do this:
1. use 2 types of walls, one low wall for your spandrel and the curtain wall above, you can try and copy paste walls from a lower level that work, onto that level where you have the issue.
2. (might be cleaner) do it all as a curtain wall with panels for the spandrel wall as concrete, or what ever you use...