PDA

View Full Version : Revit 2010 on Dual Monitors

Batman
2009-04-14, 12:31 AM
I have a dual monitor setup with a laptop. Laptop below as main screen and 24" extended desktop above. All windows function operate as expected except for Revit.

It's actaully pretty whacky, some minor issues are encountered like when Revit (and ACA) are maximised in the laptop window the title bar edge is visible at the bottom of the extended desktop (24" panel).

Trying to work with Revit on the extended desktop is not possible. The option bar (i think thats what it is called, immediatly below ribbon) just stutters increasing and decreasing its depth everytime any action is envoked, even by hitting the escape key. I click on a dwg import, just to select it, and it jumps as if it has been moved....??

Seems pretty serious an issue. Anyone else have the same monitor config (one up, one down)??

I've tested it with a side by side config, Revit behaves normally when not maximised but when maximised the same problems arise.

Just my system or can anyone else confirm similar experience?

Appreciated.

jeffh
2009-04-14, 12:47 AM
I have a dual monitor setup with a laptop. Laptop below as main screen and 24" extended desktop above. All windows function operate as expected except for Revit.

It's actaully pretty whacky, some minor issues are encountered like when Revit (and ACA) are maximised in the laptop window the title bar edge is visible at the bottom of the extended desktop (24" panel).

Trying to work with Revit on the extended desktop is not possible. The option bar (i think thats what it is called, immediatly below ribbon) just stutters increasing and decreasing its depth everytime any action is envoked, even by hitting the escape key. I click on a dwg import, just to select it, and it jumps as if it has been moved....??

Seems pretty serious an issue. Anyone else have the same monitor config (one up, one down)??

I've tested it with a side by side config, Revit behaves normally when not maximised but when maximised the same problems arise.

Just my system or can anyone else confirm similar experience?

Appreciated.

If I recall correctly a conversation I had with the QA person who worked on the interface, there were some issues related to this specific setup (secondary monitor above a primary monitor). I will try to catch up with him this week for some additional information.

Chad Smith
2009-04-14, 02:12 AM
I can concur with Jeff's comments that there are issues with the secondary above the primary. I run my home setup in the same way with my external monitor above the lappy. The only difference is that I use my external as the primary, and as such has no issues such as the jumpiness when running the displays the other way around.

jeffh
2009-04-14, 04:48 PM
The setup wiuth a secondary monitor above the promary monitor is not recomended. There are some limitations with the UI when used this way.

Your best route is to log a support request so this issue can be logged with development for further investigation.

zanzibarbob7
2009-04-14, 05:14 PM
I don't have 2010 downloaded yet and I did have one comment during an Autodesk Rollout video conference that Revit would now work on two monitors. Is this true? Can I drag a view into another monitor? I have been asking for this for years and since I am lucky enough to have four monitors, it would be nice to place elevations and sections, etc. on a seperate monitor. Have we reached that point yet?

Batman
2009-04-15, 01:32 AM
Your best route is to log a support request so this issue can be logged with development for further investigation.

Thanks Jeff appreciate that but I've lost all faith in lodging support requests, they fall on deaf ears so I'm not going to waste my time.

That's not to say they don't respond, they do, it's just the response is typically.."yeh, yeh we know about it but to hell with you we have other things to do".

Lashers
2009-04-15, 09:35 AM
I don't have 2010 downloaded yet and I did have one comment during an Autodesk Rollout video conference that Revit would now work on two monitors. Is this true? Can I drag a view into another monitor? I have been asking for this for years and since I am lucky enough to have four monitors, it would be nice to place elevations and sections, etc. on a seperate monitor. Have we reached that point yet?

I propose a vote that we don't talk to zzbob again! or at least until he agrees to revert to a normal 2 monitors! . . . are you a fly or something?? :mrgreen:

zanzibarbob7
2009-04-15, 12:25 PM
I can understand you not wanting to talk with me, but could you answer my question, directed to someone else, of course.

patricks
2009-04-15, 03:45 PM
I propose a vote that we don't talk to zzbob again! or at least until he agrees to revert to a normal 2 monitors! . . . are you a fly or something?? :mrgreen:

My boss uses 2 monitors with one above the other. The reason is that one monitor is a 21" Wacom touch screen, which needs to be low to use the stylus, while the other monitor is a 24" widescreen. With his desk configuration, it just works better to have the 24" positioned above the Wacom instead of side-by-side.

He's not using 2010 yet but 2009 works just fine.

jeffh
2009-04-15, 03:58 PM

If I understand the question correctly you can't do what you want to do. The views still have to exist within the application frame of Revit. You can however drag tools (ribbon panels), and the project browser to another monitor and these positions will be persistant from session to session.

zanzibarbob7
2009-04-15, 04:07 PM
Jeff,

This is very unfortunate as you can do this in Photoshop, which really enhances work flow. It seems that the Revit team could accomplish this without a lot of disruption in improving Revit. I will continue to wish. Thanks!

Lashers
2009-04-15, 04:23 PM
I can understand you not wanting to talk with me, but could you answer my question, directed to someone else, of course.
ha . . my apologies, I would have been glad to do enlighten you on the subject matter, but alas I am still not among the lucky few!
But reading the subsequent replies it appears not! Shame as it would be a very useful feature!
Cheers
Andy

bbeck
2009-04-15, 04:27 PM
I've been able to drag my single Revit session across multiple monitors. Then just tile my views so that I end with views on each monitor. That's as close as I can get Bob.

Scott D Davis
2009-04-15, 05:22 PM
You can drag the Project Browser and ribbon panels that have been "ripped' off from the ribbon outside of the main Revit window, but views still need to remain inside the main window.

saeborne
2009-04-15, 05:25 PM
You can drag the Project Browser and ribbon panels that have been "ripped' off from the ribbon outside of the main Revit window, but views still need to remain inside the main window.

I don't have 2010 yet so I haven't been able to try this... But in 2009, you could drag the Browser to a 2ndary monitor. Unfortunately... everytime you switched to a different .rvt or .rfa file, the browser would pop back to it's original location.

Can someone please confirm that the browser will remain where you put it?

Thanks in advance.

Bryan

patricks
2009-04-15, 05:43 PM
I don't have 2010 yet so I haven't been able to try this... But in 2009, you could drag the Browser to a 2ndary monitor. Unfortunately... everytime you switched to a different .rvt or .rfa file, the browser would pop back to it's original location.

Thanks in advance.

Bryan

I can. I have 2010 installed, and the project browser comes up on my 2nd monitor every time I launch the program or open a file. That is definitely a step in the right direction. :)

Also, with my nVIDIA video card driver, there is an option to either enable or disable "child" windows spanning multiple displays. If you DISable that option, then you can just press maximize on a view's window and it will only maximize inside one display, even though the actual Revit window spans both displays. You don't have to spend a bunch of time resizing windows, unless you want to see more views at once than the number of monitors you have. But for viewing 2 views at once, it works great, even though Revit itself doesn't natively support multiple displays.

Scott D Davis
2009-04-15, 05:51 PM

Thanks in advance.

Bryan

Yes, browser stays where you left it in 2010.

zanzibarbob7
2009-04-15, 06:42 PM
It seems to be a step in the right direction but I would prefer to have everything important on my main monitor then to drag "only views" that are secondary to other monitors. These would be just to observe the changes I am making in my primary view. I tried stretching Revit accross two monitors but was uncomfortable with the set-up. I didn't want to navigate such a wide space as it slowed things down.

dbehrens
2009-04-26, 04:05 PM
Jeff,

You have to be kidding! All this time & effort for just a ribbon interface update and now we can't extend across dual monitors with nview as we did with revit 2009?

Who knows maybe some decade, we will be able to drag a individual view onto a second screen...

David

Joef
2009-04-26, 04:26 PM
With any luck we can also drag Autodesk into the 21st century as well.

USMCBody
2009-07-06, 06:20 PM
So, I have dual screen (right and left). I'm looking to have Revit open up maxamized on my right screen.... It always seems to open up on my left screen which is my defalt screen. I'm using XP and Revit MEP 2010.

I know this is off topic, but I am able to do it with AutoCAD, and I can't remeber what I did to make it come on on the right screen.... It is driving me insane.... And I need to know... Please with cherries, whip cream, and assortated toppings...

jhs.222310
2009-07-06, 06:22 PM
with most programmes if you minimise them (the boxes at the top of the window) then drag across to the other monitor, then maximise - then shut and it should remember the window when it next opens. (to get it back reverse the process)

Sometimes this does not work!!

James

bulletproofdesign
2009-07-07, 08:05 AM
I have a dual monitor setup, tho not under over.

When left right, when the REVIT window is maximized, it leaks/bleeds onto the other screen. The number of pixels changes each time which is wierd.

this happens in both Vista 32 and XP 64...

USMCBody
2009-07-07, 04:31 PM
with most programmes if you minimise them (the boxes at the top of the window) then drag across to the other monitor, then maximise - then shut and it should remember the window when it next opens. (to get it back reverse the process)

Sometimes this does not work!!

James

which is what is happing to me. I'll move it to the right screen, and close it. when I reopen it it will go back to the defalt left screen. very.... concerning... :)

TroyGates
2009-07-08, 06:29 PM
Looks like they fixed your issues in the WU1.

Source: http://revitclinic.typepad.com/my_weblog/2009/07/revit-2010-and-dualdisplays-after-update-release-1.html

In the “Update Enhancement List” for Revit 2010 you may notice the “Application frame size is saved between sessions” note.

There is one additional item along with this for dual-display systems. Some users have requested that when Revit 2010 is dragged to a secondary display after launching the product it would remember that location.

After applying the update this is now the case. Revit will not only remember the application window size, but it will revert to the physical location if it was dragged to a second monitor as well. Previously it would launch within the primary display when the user first launched the application.

Batman
2009-07-08, 10:37 PM
Looks like they fixed your issues in the WU1.

Source: http://revitclinic.typepad.com/my_weblog/2009/07/revit-2010-and-dualdisplays-after-update-release-1.html

However looks as though they have no idea how to figure out the one monitor above the other issue.

It's a little negligent that this sort of thing happens especially when it's a 'CAD' product that's highly likely to be utilised across multiple monitors.

Perhaps given the amount of bugs in Revit at the moment and 'fix' rate maybe they should start over...would be a whole lot faster than what they are currently doing.

USMCBody
2009-07-13, 05:36 PM
happyness is here again (at least for a few of us). So, it does work now that the patch was installed.

As for Revit staring over.... Maybe they could make it more like AutoCAD... I know a chilling thought, but at least it is the devil that we know well...

aharvey
2009-10-01, 04:15 PM
We have four computers here (including mine) where the Options Bar is multiplying and the screen flashes white as it "jumps" around. Has there been any new developments with this since July on solutions? It happens on 3 of our 64-bit workstations w/ dual monitors and on a 32-bit laptop (no dual monitor).

Solutions we've tried:
updating video drivers,
Windows updates,
re-installing Revit multiple times,
scoured newsgroups for similar problems and coming up empty-handed.

Thanks~

stuart.245608
2011-03-25, 02:17 AM
Hi All

My first post...

I have been using Revit Architecture 2011 for the last six months and have been using it with 2x 23inch monitors. I have been quite content moving my 'properties' and 'project browser' windows onto the second monitor and leaving them 'undocked' from my main Revit window (that i maximize on my primary monitor).

I saw that this was suggested earlier in the post as a way in which to use Revit with multiple monitors. Unfortunately I have found that if you undock the windows an issue occurs with selecting families in the project.

When I go to the 'project browser' and scroll down, select a family type and ask Revit to 'select all instances' it does not come up in the properties window. If I dock both the 'properties' and 'project browser' and repeat the same task it works fine. This is annoying as I cannot select all instances of a family and change their type from the 'properties' window.

Anyone else find this occurs for them?