PDA

View Full Version : Hatching an extruded item?

Jason
2003-08-29, 12:50 AM
I have created a turn down footing to be connected to the garage slab. It was created using the extrusion method. I would like to model this footing and fill it with the conc hatch. How do you hatch a extruded model item? I know I could fill it with a concrete hatch pattern, But I would like to do is to model it similar to a concrete wall.

Jason

Steve_Stafford
2003-08-29, 12:55 AM
Assign a material to it and define the cut fill pattern to the material.

Jason
2003-08-29, 07:02 AM
Hi Steve,

I have used the Generic Model to create the extrusion. In its Properties menu, it only had model, manufacturer, Type, etc. I couldn't find the material section. Did I use an incorrect family to create this extrusion or do I need to add the Parameters to the properties.

Jason

PeterJ
2003-08-29, 07:48 AM
You will need to actuallly go into the Generic model itself to apply a material.

Think on it this way - if you create a window you need a solid framing materially (usually) and a glass element so materials need to be assigned within the family itself.

If you dig around you can make the material parametric so that you can change them on the fly in the project file. Just go to the family types dialogue and add a new parameter defined as a material and then assign the parametric material to the element.

Pete

beegee
2003-08-29, 07:48 AM
Hi Steve,

I have used the Generic Model to create the extrusion. In its Properties menu, it only had model, manufacturer, Type, etc. I couldn't find the material section. Did I use an incorrect family to create this extrusion or do I need to add the Parameters to the properties.

Jason

I'm assuming you're talking about an in-place generic model. If not, ignore this post and follow Peter J's good advice.

When you made the extrusion, you could have assigned a material to it, but no matter, you still can.

Select the extrusion, click on " edit family " in the tool bar, select the extrusion again, then click on " properities" in the tool bar and go to the materials drop down list to assign any of those materials to the extrusion.

Now, the materials all have pre-assigned surface and cut patterns. You can edit those if you want, or duplicate to create new materials with specific patterns. try it, I think you'll like it. Go to Settings > Materials > select a material and look at the options.

Jason
2003-08-29, 02:05 PM
It was an in-place generic model i was working with. Thank you all for your help.

Jason