PDA

View Full Version : camera inside mass????

cliff collins
2009-04-15, 08:51 PM
I searched the forums, but no luck.

We have put a camera inside of a mass--i.e. standing inside, looking out to the exterior
through the mass. The mass " shaded color" does not display, only from INSIDE the mass.

Cameras place outside looking at the EXTERIOR of the mass display the shaded material
correctly.

We checked the mass material--transparency is set to 0%, did not have "use rendered
appearance" checked, tried using a different material, etc.

We are trying to "see" the INSIDE face of the mass from a camera view placed on the interior.

Anyone run into this??????

aaronrumple
2009-04-16, 03:49 PM
This was same on 2009 and to be expected. The "default light" deosn't get into a mass in a shaded view. After all - it is solid - and the surface normal of the plane is pointing away from you. If the mass is shelled - then you will see the surfaces pointing inside. Massing exteriors is for exteriors - not for interiors. If you want interiors - place walls. Shelling a mass is time consuming and not at all what the object was designed for.

cliff collins
2009-04-16, 03:58 PM
Yeah--figured that was the case. With all the hooplah of the new massing tools,
it's a bit narrow to only be able to design from the outside!

We'll convert faces to walls and move on--but that just adds more "stuff" to the model
which we really do not want in early concept phases wher we are moving quickly through
design iterations.............................

cheers.

aaronrumple
2009-04-16, 04:12 PM
A mass by definition is solid....

An who said architects designed conceptually from inside out? They always do it from outside in.... It's the Revit way.

cliff collins
2009-04-16, 04:20 PM
The "best way" is both--from outside in, and inside out--which is why we want a camera
inside and outside the mass..................

cheers..........

aaronrumple
2009-04-16, 04:31 PM
:shock: What?!? Cliff has a complaint about Revit?!? :shock:

Let's be a little more optimistic, now....

cliff collins
2009-04-16, 04:58 PM
Actually, I have lots more "complaints"--for instance, check out my "non-verticle wall" thread!!!!!!!!

Seems a bit silly to spend a year on a release which has vastly improved massing tools, and then to not be able to view the new masses with a camera from the inside!

Not complaining--just wishing (I'll put this on the wishlist-LOL).

For now--add walls and move on........

cheers..........