PDA

View Full Version : revit 2010 dimensioning

mark.98140
2009-04-16, 07:54 AM
I have been experimenting with the new version and have been having difficulties making the linear dimension work... is anyone else experiencing this? I simply cannot seem to select most surfaces or objects.... have tried view depth, locked items etc... hmmm

mark.98140
2009-04-16, 08:01 AM
strange, it appears that the linear will work.... but i was under the impression the linear would dimension two parallel walls?.... i have checked and they are parallel... what am i missing?

twiceroadsfool
2009-04-16, 11:35 AM
Some more information would help... Are you in plan, elevation, section? Is it just the wall to wall you cant dimension? Can you go wall to another object? Are you getting the "no" sign when you try to click the second reference, or some other warning or message?

jeffh
2009-04-16, 01:01 PM
strange, it appears that the linear will work.... but i was under the impression the linear would dimension two parallel walls?.... i have checked and they are parallel... what am i missing?

Linear dimensions are for measuring points along a line or from a datum. The Aligned dimension is what you want to use to get the standard behavior you are used to. In 2009 the default was "aligned" and it was set on the options bar. In 2010 the user can pick which dimension they want directly form the ribbon. I would say using "aligned" wil do what you want 90% of the time.

mark.98140
2009-04-17, 01:29 AM
fair enough, was probably always using aligned and assumed it was linear... interesting.. thanks for the insight.

mbeham
2010-01-08, 03:14 PM
i just ran into this same thing you were doing and opened 2009 back up to verify. Just so you dont feel too bad...the default dimension style when aligned is selected (which is default) is called Linear Dimension Style....ie the confusion. Glad you posted tough, I was getting annoyed.