PDA

View Full Version : how bout this shape?

ntnik
2009-04-16, 03:02 PM
i can cheat this shape in elevation simply enough....which for my purposes (simple dead on elevation) are fine.....any suggestions for the shape (the arched white wooden shape over the window)

cliff collins
2009-04-16, 03:04 PM
don't see any attachment???????????

cheers.......

ntnik
2009-04-16, 03:12 PM
sorry guys, exceeded memory

cporter.207875
2009-04-16, 03:20 PM
You might use a solid sweep. Create a profile family and load it into an in-place family, sketch the path, and model the sweep with the profile you created. I didn't test it, but I think it should work out just fine.

tomnewsom
2009-04-16, 03:27 PM
This is a little tricky if you want to get the profile to return properly at the ends. Create the solid shape 'behind' the sweep - the 'naked' shape if you like. Create the sweep and pick the path. This is the only way to get the curve and the returns in the same sweep path. Drawn sweep lines have to be planar.

Oh, and make it in a proper family, not in-place!

Oh, Oh, and if you're careful, the 'naked' shape can be visible in all details, but the Profile can be hidden in Coarse detail views, which will speed your model up.

eldad
2009-04-17, 06:45 AM
is this what you are after?
just create a generic model family (anything really) use a sweep, create the path and your profile, than use voids to cut the ends :)
HTH

rudolfweyers346383
2009-04-17, 06:56 AM
If you want the profile of the sweep to return onto the wall, use the same profile and create another sweep which turns at the end and join the 2 sweeps.

tomnewsom
2009-04-17, 09:38 AM
This is a little tricky if you want to get the profile to return properly at the ends. Create the solid shape 'behind' the sweep - the 'naked' shape if you like. Create the sweep and pick the path. This is the only way to get the curve and the returns in the same sweep path. Drawn sweep lines have to be planar.

Oh, and make it in a proper family, not in-place!

Oh, Oh, and if you're careful, the 'naked' shape can be visible in all details, but the Profile can be hidden in Coarse detail views, which will speed your model up.
Like this:

rudolfweyers346383
2009-04-17, 10:25 AM
Thanks tomnewsom, I wasn't aware that you can create a sweep using more than 1 plane. That really makes life alot easier.

ntnik
2009-04-17, 02:23 PM
was out allot yesterday and just returning...thanks for the posts and the input guys.....had recently done some enormous GFRC shapes with returns that worked nicely but not with the arch....ya'lls input is appreciated, thanks