PDA

View Full Version : Hide and Seek with 2010

douggodfrey
2009-04-17, 02:21 PM
Still getting used to the new UI but can't find the old "Model/Create/Solid Sweep" command. The closest i can find is the "Wall/Wall Sweep" which should work but it requires a 3d view and it's a PIA for inserting countertops which i use the sweep for.
Any tricks for using the wall sweep in the plan view?

patricks
2009-04-17, 02:37 PM
I know there's a button at the top right with a drop-down where you can point to "where's my tool" or something like that. Maybe that will help you find what you're looking for.

jeffh
2009-04-17, 02:49 PM
Still getting used to the new UI but can't find the old "Model/Create/Solid Sweep" command. The closest i can find is the "Wall/Wall Sweep" which should work but it requires a 3d view and it's a PIA for inserting countertops which i use the sweep for.
Any tricks for using the wall sweep in the plan view?

Are you talking about creating an in-place family solid sweep? If so, on the home tab, hit the lower portion of the component button (the part with the arrow). This will let you model something in-place.

douggodfrey
2009-04-17, 03:06 PM
Thanks for both suggestions. All set.

mruehr
2009-04-20, 03:15 PM
Where did the View-Orient-byPlane command go???
and you used to be able to align a 3d view with the sketch of a wall in edit mode
is this really gone?

aaronrumple
2009-04-20, 05:36 PM
and you used to be able to align a 3d view with the sketch of a wall in edit mode
is this really gone?

Whoops.
Yes it looks like it is gone.

Worse yet all my shortcut kets are gone for changing views. I used to have VS, VE, VW, VN, VT for View-North etc....

dfriesen
2009-04-20, 06:35 PM
Worse yet all my shortcut kets are gone for changing views. I used to have VS, VE, VW, VN, VT for View-North etc....
I used the number pad, as suggested by Wes (I think) - 55 is top view, 52 is south, etc. Worked beautifully for quickly getting around. Now it's a trip to the view cube, not nearly as efficient. Keyboard shortcuts RULE!!
Has anyone tried making up a shortcut for view cube commands? Seems like based on the other keyboard shortcuts, the following should work:
"55" ViewCube:" Orient to a Direction -Top"

jeffh
2009-04-20, 06:41 PM
is this really gone?

Orient to plane is located on the Steering Wheel. The little arrow in the lower right corner has a menu option for orient to plane.

jarosa
2009-04-20, 07:27 PM
I want to like it. It looks so new and shiny and....

Well when i saw the subject of this thread it says what i've been feeling all day. If you saw Phil Read's preview you knew we were in for moving icons. (Only text and dimensions used to move in 2009 and <). The UI seriously needs to get off the uppers and settle down a bit. Icons should stay in the same position.

Now hold on to your mouse...well let go of it a bit so you can adjust your grip so you can move it way to the corner...ok get back into the drawing area....ok hit the itty bitty modify icon on the QAT....but you won't be able to hit the print icon on the QAT toolbar...cuz it's only in the drop down menu (i right clicked until a blister appeared, still no add to QAT)....Well now before you want to print, activate the view in the sheet...but don't modfy anything cuz you'll have to go back to the view panel and then deactivate view (It's not like you don't have to deactivate.....) I'd use my keyboard shortcuts but i have to modify the file first. In my free time.

Now for the icons with pull down menus. This is absurd. Region and Detail and the Mirror icon have my goat. (I don't really have a goat.. so i'm not calling Autodesk a thief....this time). And why are some icons are Woolly Mamouth size and some are deer tick size. Split up the big ones and give us what's in the pull down menu. Genious...

Here's my last constructive criticism for the day. What the heck is the new pointer for text. Tip...If you align the bottom left corner of the "I" shape you can come close to getting the leader where you want. I had to go back to RAC 2009 and verify I hadn't lost my marbles. No, the text tool has a pointer for the leader. Silly

Still, I want to like it. I just hope Autodesk will listen to the users and make changes to the UI.

Here's a tip if you haven't found it yet. Big Purple R (cute huh?) > Options > General Tab > Display > Set to light so you can at least see the moving targets. I did play with colors for graphic selection. I use magenta and cyan and red. Looks like china town on my screen.

If you pay attention the Big Purple R hides behind the UI sometimes..Even it's not particularily proud.

No way is this UI more efficient. Come on boys (and girls) back to the white erase board and rearrange the post it note icons. (only a good visual if you've seen videos of the preliminary design of UI's. The one from Microsoft is cool) Afghan rebels designed parts of this one. Oh yeah i won't buy Office 2007. I like my tools just where they are...Thank you.

Still a big huge Revit fan...Autodesk not as much...

aaronrumple
2009-04-20, 07:34 PM
I used the number pad, as suggested by Wes (I think) - 55 is top view, 52 is south, etc. Worked beautifully for quickly getting around. Now it's a trip to the view cube, not nearly as efficient. Keyboard shortcuts RULE!!
Has anyone tried making up a shortcut for view cube commands? Seems like based on the other keyboard shortcuts, the following should work:
"55" ViewCube:" Orient to a Direction -Top"

That would make sense, but I tried that and several other things. No go so far. There is only one other reference to the ViewCube in the shortcut file and it is part of just a UI toggle.

Chad Smith
2009-04-20, 10:53 PM
That freekin Steering Wheel. It got such a poor reception when implemented and was rated in the bottom 4 for new tools for that release, yet Autodesk though it was a good idea to put more tools/options in it. Well done.

mark.98140
2009-04-20, 11:51 PM
actually to be fair, i have been using the new version for all of about a week and really don't mind it that much... i find personally that i am more effecient and am enjoying the new version besides some irrating quirks with moving icons and slow display of icons... my biggest gripe is the lack of new features or improvements that were requested and we have been waiting SOOOOoooo long for... my 5 cents is to put aside the negative views and put more emphasis on improving what they have commenced with the user interface and then get on with screaming about the lack of new features@!!!

Chad Smith
2009-04-20, 11:59 PM
There's a new Autodesk blog post (http://insidethefactory.typepad.com/my_weblog/2009/04/sourcing-the-crowd-for-a-better-wheres-my-command-tool.html) on "Where's My Command".

mruehr
2009-04-21, 01:12 AM
Orient to plane is located on the Steering Wheel. The little arrow in the lower right corner has a menu option for orient to plane.

jeffh is there a way to assign a shortcut to it ?

aaronrumple
2009-04-21, 01:31 AM

Doesn't appear there is....

jeffh
2009-04-21, 03:23 AM

I don't think so. :-(

mruehr
2009-04-21, 05:28 AM
I don't think so. :-(
Thank's Jeffh
would you please let you colleges know this is really bad
something i use all the time and had imitate access to, is now 4-5 mouse clicks away
Ouchhhh

Chad Smith
2009-04-21, 05:53 AM
Under Autodesk's own There Can Be Only One (http://insidethefactory.typepad.com/my_weblog/2009/03/more-than-a-pretty-face.html) (TCBOO) rule, why does Orient to View show up under both the ViewCube and the Steering Wheel? Apparently having such a redundancy is a problem.

And in the interest of UI consistency, why is the menu structure for Orient to View on the Steering Wheel only one level deep, while the menu structure for Orient to View on the ViewCube two?

Prodev75
2009-04-21, 03:18 PM
The new UI gives me the same feeling of misplacing my car keys in the house or trying to find that bolt for the car that fell to the floor and rolled under the bench.

This is going to take a little getting use to.