PDA

View Full Version : Architecture or Structure

BeetleJuice
2009-04-17, 05:33 PM
Working in an architectural and structural office.

We are thinking of moving to Revit Structure but would like to know if the Structure edition contain all content of Revit Architecture or do we need both

Hope someone can advise me.

Steve_Stafford
2009-04-17, 07:13 PM
You can't do architecture with just Revit Structure, no rooms for example...that would be a problem. So if you are doing both you'll need both...or you could look closely at Revit Structure and Revit MEP instead, combined they have all the tools. They just aren't arranged the way that Revit Architecture is so it might be an "odd" workflow for the architects. But then with the new interface now...everything will be "odd" for awhile? Good luck picking! :smile:

Chad Smith
2009-04-17, 11:13 PM
Yeah, this is a huge issue Steveread. Autodesk have disabled a handful of tools in each Revit program to force you to purchase more than one. I and others here have been battling this program hell for years now. But Autodesk is showing no signs of interest, so if you purchase thinking you can influence them, then you might have to think again, because we have been on their backs about this for years now.

Its just a word of warning to let you know what your getting into, and you may want to look into possible software alternatives.

Mike Sealander
2009-04-17, 11:16 PM
Chad:
That's an interestingly strong statement. What are you suggesting?

Chad Smith
2009-04-17, 11:20 PM
I'm saying it's about time Autodesk finally step up and share the love of all the modelling tools between all the Revit programs.

Joef
2009-04-18, 02:47 AM
Some of us bought Revit, not Revit Architecture or Revit MEP or Revit Structure. We expected that when tools to create things like trusses or ducts were developed that they would be included in the program that we bought. Ha Ha. Revit now becomes Revit LT.
Having three different programs is just a way to squeeze a few extra dollars out of the customer base. Accent on "few" The only way Autodesk makes extra $ is if the same seat buys more than 1 version of Revit. This really only happens in a small operation, because in a big office you can just change chairs. It really is not a very clever policy but that's Autodesk.

BeetleJuice
2009-04-18, 02:35 PM
Thanks for reply.

As a small to medium size firm, development to new software is both time consuming and expensive and purchasing numerous software for each seat is just not a viable solution.
Thanks for comments

kathy71046
2009-04-18, 11:38 PM
I do mostly structurals with occaisional architecturals, and found that Structural is fine.

As long as you know you cant have rooms or cielings, and the projects aren't huge, there are ways around the missing tools.