PDA

View Full Version : Drafting in Revit with line weights

speedfreak5150
2009-04-20, 04:51 AM
How do i setup line width eg .5, .25, .18 mm etc. instead on thin, medium thick?

tomnewsom
2009-04-20, 09:25 AM
Settings - Line Styles, lets you create new named line types, you can call them .18, .3 and so on. You can only assign lineweight by number, however, from 1(thin) to 10(thick)

The actual display thickness of those 1-10 lineweights depends on the view scale. Settings-Line Weights will show you this. For example, the thinnest lineweight is .18mm from 1:10 to 1:50 but is .1mm in coarser scales. If you want a specific lineweight to be the same pen in all views, you'd need to edit this table.

Personally, I wouldn't bother. Seeing as how the drafting views are WYSIWYG, it's not so important to know exactly what pen you're drawing with, just that it looks good. The dynamic pen assignment depending on view scale is, IMO, a good feature that helps to maintain drawing clarity at coarse scales.

mthurnauer
2009-04-20, 09:42 AM
That is part of it, but you can define how wide each width is. If you go to the Settings Menu and open Line Weights, you will see that for each width you can assign how wide that line is and for different view scales.

speedfreak5150
2009-04-20, 09:19 PM
Thankx very much just wondering changing things in these to settings table doos the affect the other drawings file of just the 1 u change it in?

twiceroadsfool
2009-04-20, 09:30 PM
First, DONT name them something like ".18" and the like... Or theyre be misleading a lot of the time.

In Line Styles, you can give them a VALUE of 1-16, for each *line type.*

Then, in Line Weights, you can set the different pen widths for each of those 16 values, for every different scale in the template/project. So, the line weights will be different at different scales, which is why i wouldnt name them ",18" or something. Someone will use the .18 in three views of various scales, and not understand why theyre different.

BomberAIA
2009-04-21, 11:35 AM
Just make a new line type. If you need a very heavy line for a property line, just create it.