PDA

View Full Version : Using Parameter to Populate Text or Label Field

designviz
2009-04-20, 03:21 PM
I woult like to add an Instance parameter to the Room (System Family). Is this possible?

What I want to ultimately do is either based on the element properties of the room have a parameter for Size in which I would have a value like 12 X 15.

Any thoughts on how to accomplish this?

cporter.207875
2009-04-20, 03:34 PM
You could do it by adding a text type project parameter and applying it to rooms. Go to>Settings>Project Parameters to start. However, this will be a manual input parameter. I don't know of a way to make it read the rooms basic shape and size and spit out a number for you.

designviz
2009-04-20, 04:15 PM
Cory,

This will work, thanks.

I am not worried about this being automated, in fact doing so would add undo complexity when trying to resolve L shaped or other sort of rooms. This is just a rough nominal room size.

Your suggestion was just what I needed. Unless I missed something, in this case though it appears I actually needed to first create a Shared Parameter for this as well, so it would also display as part of the room tag.

Attached files show my settings and the resultant tag.

If I am overcomplicating this, please let me know.

cporter.207875
2009-04-20, 04:21 PM
You hit it right on the nose. Shared parameters is the only way to make the parameter show in schedules and tags.

designviz
2009-04-20, 04:29 PM
OK, great thanks.

BTW, if you have not done so already, perhaps you can also advise regarding muli-line text in parameters. Please see my post here, http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=99755.