PDA

View Full Version : Can I add carriage returns to a text parameter

designviz
2009-04-20, 04:21 PM
I have a room name which sometimes needs to be two lines long. If my tag is reading the Name parameter from the Room Object, is there a way without creating a second parameter to add a carriage return within the Name field of the Room's Element parameters?

cporter.207875
2009-04-20, 04:45 PM
I'm not exactly sure how you are trying to do this, but the way I have always done it (probably not the best way) is to type a bunch of spaces where I want the return, so that the text string is too long to display as a single line. The number of spaces required is dependent on the string width of the text element in the annotation family. This may wreak havoc on your room schedule, though.

BIMTom
2009-04-20, 05:35 PM
The text box in your tag might just be too wide. Open the family, shrink it down a little, and then reload it into your project.

designviz
2009-04-20, 05:57 PM
Yuck, that's ugly ;) I was hoping for something a bit more elegant, sort of like Alt-Enter in Excel. I will give this a shot though, thanks.

saeborne
2009-04-20, 06:13 PM
You can add a carriage return to a room name parameter. It's just like you think it would be... <ALT> + Enter.

BUT... it doesn't work, by clicking on the room tag.

Instead, you have to select the room object, hit the properties button, and then in the "Room Name" parameter field, that's where you can insert an <ALT> + Enter.

cporter.207875
2009-04-20, 06:19 PM
I just tried the <ALT>+Enter and it did not work.

<Ctrl> + Enter does work, however. Cool trick.

designviz
2009-04-20, 08:08 PM
Why didn't I think to try that :) In the past with other apps, including Excel, I have and had less than desirable results. Goes to show you. At least this way at least two of us learned something.

btrusty
2009-04-20, 08:43 PM
good to know. i had accidentally came across this before, back in Revit 2008 through a copy-paste, but didn't want it and deleted it then. i needed it the other day and was unable to figure it out.

Scott Womack
2009-04-21, 10:04 AM

The only issue with doing this is that the carriage return will also show up in your schedule as well as the tag. IF that is acceptable, then no problem.

cporter.207875
2009-04-21, 01:23 PM
It's the schedule issue that bothers me the most. I prefer to get the effect of a carriage return in my tags by shrinking the size of the text box in the family. The only trouble is that I can't predict every occasion where I need a return. There would have to be a logical reason for the return that is true in all cases, otherwise I don't have the freedom of using the return "when and if" I want.

Perhaps, the better option is to create a second "name" parameter, so that I can use one for tags and one for schedules.

tomnewsom
2009-04-21, 01:27 PM
My ideal solution: Have the 'width' value of text boxes available as a Parameter (Instance or Type) so that they can be set precisely and as needed.

cporter.207875
2009-04-21, 01:42 PM
My ideal solution: Have the 'width' value of text boxes available as a Parameter (Instance or Type) so that they can be set precisely and as needed.

If only...

saeborne
2009-04-21, 04:38 PM

Yes! <Ctrl> not <ALT>!