PDA

View Full Version : voids in family not showing up in project

annastruthers
2009-04-21, 06:06 PM
i have a family with a pattern of openings, reveals, and recesses that i'm trying to load into my project. the family loads fine but the reveals (solid void sweeps in the family) don't cut the wall. i had to make the reveals in a separate family within the overall family to get them to work because the overall family wouldn't allow me to have both openings and cut voids. but i've tried messing with both the primary family and the reveal family and you can see that they're there when the component highlights in the project, but they won't cut the wall. is there some setting i'm missing?

cporter.207875
2009-04-21, 07:25 PM
Can you post the overall family?

annastruthers
2009-04-21, 07:45 PM
the storefront5 is the overall family. thank you!

Andre Carvalho
2009-04-21, 07:52 PM
i have a family with a pattern of openings, reveals, and recesses that i'm trying to load into my project. the family loads fine but the reveals (solid void sweeps in the family) don't cut the wall. i had to make the reveals in a separate family within the overall family to get them to work because the overall family wouldn't allow me to have both openings and cut voids. but i've tried messing with both the primary family and the reveal family and you can see that they're there when the component highlights in the project, but they won't cut the wall. is there some setting i'm missing?

You can't have voids and openings cutting the wall at the same time. But you can get rid of the opening and create a void to do the opening. Doing this, you will have only voids cutting the wall and therefore it will work without having to nest any other family.

Andre Carvalho

annastruthers
2009-04-21, 08:06 PM
i'm trying that but when i create the void and cut the geometry of the wall, it's erasing the mullions, etc. that are drawn inside that opeing.

Andre Carvalho
2009-04-21, 08:49 PM
i'm trying that but when i create the void and cut the geometry of the wall, it's erasing the mullions, etc. that are drawn inside that opeing.

If you create the extrusion as a void, it will cut all geometry it cross. But if you do the extrusion as a solid, select it, go to properties and change from solid to void, it won't cut any elements. Then you can select the option Cut Geometry (in the options bar), select the void and select the wall. Doing this you will make sure the void cuts only the wall and not the mullions.

Andre Carvalho