PDA

View Full Version : Where is the type selector? 2010

craig.124331
2009-04-21, 07:42 PM
When I click on the wall button, there is no element (type) selector dialogue popping up to allow me to change wall types... and when I highlight a wall in the model, I have to right-click the wall and go to properties to see what type wall it is... Is there a setting somewhere that I'm missing?

craig.124331
2009-04-21, 07:58 PM
Just a clarification of the above... When I select the wall tool... I only see a 'Selection' and a 'Draw' Ribbon.... No 'Element' as described in the help.......I appreciate any help or adivce...

BIMTom
2009-04-21, 08:04 PM
When you click the Wall command, you should be automatically switched to a tab called Place Wall, which has an Element Properties drop down and the type selector right next to it ("Change Element Type").

If you have the Ribbon minimized, you should get something that looks more like Revit 2009, with little mini-tabs for Selection, Element, and Draw.

craig.124331
2009-04-21, 08:14 PM
I'm sure I'm loosing it or just doing something stupid, but when I click the wall tool.... the ribbon changes as can been seen in the attached JPEG.....

I only get a selection and draw box.... ?? I'm I in the wrong place?

THanks again for your help...

Scott Womack
2009-04-21, 08:39 PM
IT would appear that you have dragged the Wall panel off of the Ribbon, and then done something with it.

craig.124331
2009-04-21, 08:42 PM
Hmm... oddly enough I have no idea how I would have done it...

Also, there is another computer here... same installation file, however different operating system... I'm on Vista 64... Other machine is XP 32.. It's the same way on the xp machine..shown in the jpeg above... (no element tab)

Could it be a corrupt installation file? Even though it installed an everything else seems to be working?

I have no clue..

cliff collins
2009-04-21, 08:48 PM
Give this a try:

To reset the ribbon and Quick Access toolbar:
delete the UIState.dat file located in the Autodesk Revit Architecture 2010 folder under one of the following folders:

For Windows XP:
%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Autodesk\Revit

For Windows Vista:
%LOCALAPPDATA%\Autodesk\Revit

any help?

cheers..........

bbeck
2009-04-21, 08:52 PM
If your UI has been modified it's stored in UISTATE.DAT down your local user path.....%localappdata%\Autodesk\Revit...or something close to that. I reccomend that every CAD/BIM manager make a copy of their default UISTATE.DAT file and keep it safe somewhere. That way if any user needs to drop back to company standard it's available. I'm not sure if this is the direct answer to this thread but I thought I would share this knowledge just in case.

Cliff beat me to it

craig.124331
2009-04-21, 09:18 PM
I feel dumb as a brick.... but I can't find the uistate.dat file on the computer.....even with your telling me where it should be...

I think I'll re-download the whole thing and reinstall... This is nuts..

craig.124331
2009-04-21, 09:25 PM
Just deleted the file on the XP machine.... no luck... Still no elements tab when we click on wall...

Oh well...........

bbeck
2009-04-21, 09:55 PM
Once you select the wall tool hit the escape key a few times. I've found that if you ignore the type/element window just once and go to pick wall/door/etc... again, you no longer see the next window. Or slide down the ribbon to the last pull down which should be "Place Wall" and click that. Let me go back and look at your attachment.....

Ok, nevermind, your screen capture isn't even looking like what I thought.

melanie.199034
2009-04-21, 11:24 PM
We've installed it from a CD got exactly the same problem.

Does it make a difference whether you install it from the CD or download it from the web? Could this be the problem?

melanie.199034
2009-04-22, 03:36 AM
Problem fixed.. sort of.

When I open Revit 2010 there is a small box in the centre of the screen that I automatically closed. However, if I don't close that box, my type selector panel is displayed as it is supposed to. By right clicking on the box you get the option to move it to a place on your screen where it's out of the way.

I don't know if this helps anyone...

dbaldacchino
2009-04-22, 04:23 AM
Please file this with Autodesk support. I believe I've seen someone with a similar problem. Also FYI...you cannot rip the panels from a contextual tab, so this is some sort of bug, perhaps something to do with your configuration & video hardware/drivers.

craig.124331
2009-04-22, 11:28 AM
This is definitely a bug...and melanie.199034 had the answer.... I think it's associated with our ATI graphics card.. I used to close that little box before...(not knowing what it was).. moving it out of the way fixes the issue!

Thanks Melanie!!

clog boy
2009-04-22, 11:56 AM
Weird...

What I do like is that you can scroll through it now and it displays thumbnail previews. Pretty sharp ones at that too, not as chunky as the Explorer previews.

m.thomas
2009-04-22, 12:13 PM
AUTODESK !!!

Do you see what happens when you build too much customisability into the user interface !

Won't be too long before we need another forum set up specifically to deal with user interface issues such as the Autocad cui menus forum.

More loss of productivity.

patricks
2009-04-22, 12:25 PM
I have seen the tiny little box when opening 2010 as well, and I also have just closed it, but I haven't seen this issue. Maybe I haven't done the same things you have or something.