PDA

View Full Version : hatch pattern scales??

pshupe
2009-04-22, 06:24 PM
I have a green roof on a project in which I am cutting a section. I have Site-Earth selected as the cut pattern but it seems much too large. Is there a way I can scale it by 50%?? Thanks.

Regards Peter.

cporter.207875
2009-04-22, 06:42 PM
Peter,
Use the attached .pat file. Go to the roof's properties, edit the structure, and create a custom cut pattern for the Site-Earth material. When you create the custom pattern, import the attached .pat file and set the import scale to be 0.5.

Note: the attached file is simply a copy of the Revit.pat file, with all the extra patterns deleted from it and renamed Earth.

pshupe
2009-04-22, 06:56 PM
I managed to download some drafting patterns and one was an earth pattern which I could import with a scale factor. Is there a way of applying a scale factor to a pattern already loaded? Also I downloaded a nice riverrock drafting pattern for my gravel base material and it shows up properly in the cut pattern box but when I apply it it either doesn't show up or is completely black. Can someone shed some light on this problem. Greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Regards Peter.

pshupe
2009-04-22, 06:57 PM
Thanks Cory - I must have been typing my post when you posted yours - I'll give it a try. It seems to be pretty finiky!!

Cheers Peter.

cporter.207875
2009-04-22, 07:09 PM
If your gravel pattern is a model pattern, it is probably displaying at true size. So... if your view is at a small scale (scale < 1"), it will probably be hard to see the detail of the pattern.

pshupe
2009-04-22, 07:11 PM
Hey Cory - it's seems to work just the same - I have no problem having it show up the correct size in my pattern swatch I hit apply on both properties dialogue and it just stays at whatever was loaded previously. Even if I load a totally different material???

It doesn't seem to want to change. I managed to get it to show riverrock but the scale was too big so I imported another one at 3x the size and it shows changing in the swatch but will not update in the section view??? Man, this is frustrating.

Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Regards Peter.

pshupe
2009-04-22, 07:23 PM
I haven't been able to load any model patterns for some reason - it is greyed out when I go to my object to edit the cut pattern. I am going through and changing my cut pattern colour as well - I find the black too dark - So I am changing to a grey colour. The problem patterns are still not changing for some reason?? I think I'll move on for now and let me frustration level drop a bit for now. Thanks.

Regards Peter.

cporter.207875
2009-04-22, 07:24 PM
Take a look at the attached file and compare to what you have. It works fine on my end.

cporter.207875
2009-04-22, 07:28 PM
I haven't been able to load any model patterns for some reason - it is greyed out when I go to my object to edit the cut pattern. I am going through and changing my cut pattern colour as well - I find the black too dark - So I am changing to a grey colour. The problem patterns are still not changing for some reason?? I think I'll move on for now and let me frustration level drop a bit for now. Thanks.

Regards Peter.

Model patterns aren't available as cut patterns; they are only available as surface patterns, I believe.

btrusty
2009-04-22, 07:50 PM
for sections, i typically use filled regions with a pattern in them (there is a default earth pattern in revit, and you can scale it)

cporter.207875
2009-04-22, 07:57 PM
for sections, i typically use filled regions with a pattern in them (there is a default earth pattern in revit, and you can scale it)

btrusty,

How do you scale the pattern differently than specifying the import scale when you import the .pat file, as I have shown above? I don't find any "scale" parameters in the filled region's element properties.

btrusty
2009-04-22, 08:13 PM
make the filled region
choose a filled region pattern

if the scale is wrong for your section

click on the filled region
properties
edit / new...
duplicate, name it something else (e.g. earth big)
click on fill pattern name (type parameter, graphics, first item)
click on the far right (the ... button that pops up)
edit
import
choose your .pat hatch pattern
change the import scale

try it out
if it does not look good, then process over again with different import scale

pshupe
2009-04-22, 08:37 PM
Cory - I think there is a problem with the scale factors of the patterns themselves or with my drawing. It is a metric drawing. When I load the default it looks a way too small, so I was trying to scale it up. I was experimenting with the scalefactor and seems like if I modify it it has to be much much smaller and then it shows up fine. Strange. It seems to be almost working now. Thanks for the tips.

btrusty - I will try the fill region hatch as well to see if that may be a better solution for problem patterns. Thanks.

cporter.207875
2009-04-22, 08:39 PM
I see, this is the same process that I described above, except entering the custom pattern creator through the filled region properties instead of the materials dialogue. You can also get to the filled pattern dialogue by going to Settings>Fill Patterns...

Out of curiosity, what benefit do you get by using filled regions to show cut patterns in your sections vs. applying cut patterns to your elements?

cporter.207875
2009-04-22, 08:43 PM
Cory - I think there is a problem with the scale factors of the patterns themselves or with my drawing. It is a metric drawing. When I load the default it looks a way too small, so I was trying to scale it up. I was experimenting with the scalefactor and seems like if I modify it it has to be much much smaller and then it shows up fine. Strange. It seems to be almost working now. Thanks for the tips.

btrusty - I will try the fill region hatch as well to see if that may be a better solution for problem patterns. Thanks.

Ahh... I didn't realize it was metric. You can create the same .pat file for metric units by opening the Revit Pattern-Metric file, deleting everything but the Earth pattern, save-as .pat file and name Earth (or whatever you like), then importing that file into your custom pattern creator at whatever scale you need. The Revit pattern file is located in the Data folder.

C:\Program Files\Revit MEP 2009\Data

Is that confusing?

pshupe
2009-04-23, 01:45 PM
Quite a bit less confusing than what is happening now! It looks like it is somewhat rational now though. Also a factor that is contributing to the display problems, is that the physical size of the "slab" is quite thin so at 1:50 the hatch doesn't really show up. I might just leave it out on the 1:50 and only have it show up in larger scaled drawings like the 1:10 wall section.

Thanks for all the help.

Cheers Peter.

nicholas.209609
2009-05-14, 06:43 PM
I noticed that the hatch pattern also seems to change when used in a family. I was creating a family that I used the typical grid-type hatch on the projection surface to represent tile - when I imported it into the model the hatch was no longer to scale. Any ideas?

cporter.207875
2009-05-14, 07:12 PM
Did you use a model pattern or a drafting pattern? Model patterns are shown to actual size, whereas drafting patterns display according to the printed size..