PDA

View Full Version : Sub-region Problem

Exar Kun
2004-10-27, 04:33 AM
I've been trying out the new sub-region tool with one of our projects and I've run into a problem where the sub region I am creating only shows up in an adjacent piece of split terrain.

I'm basically wanting to create a driveway from the property boundary up to a building on the site. When I sketch this driveway I have to make sure that the end of it overhangs the property boundary otherwise if I use the boundary as one of the edges for the sketch I get an error about the sketch needing to be a closed loop. Now, the verge is a seperate piece of topography so this means slightly overlapping the sketch onto the verge. When I finish the sketch I find that the tiny bit of over on the verge becomes a sub region and not the driveway sketch on the main terrain! This even occurs if I hide the verge terrain!!

All rather odd. Is there anyway to actually select the topography that you want the sub-region to appear on?

edit: attached images illustrating problem.

Exar Kun
2004-10-27, 06:06 AM
I've stumbled across it again further round the site and have found a work around. If I draw the sketch entirely within the bounds of the topography I want it on and then edit the sub-region boundary and drag it out over the edge onto the adjacent terrain it seems to work as intended.

frame
2004-10-27, 02:33 PM
something to consider:
do you need the surface to be split now that you can use subregions?
what if you merge the surfaces, then add subregions to define changes in material.

Exar Kun
2004-10-27, 11:38 PM
It's not absolutely necessary that the regions be split but very handy. We are doing a lot of grading on the site and none of this grading can affect the verge - if the regions were merged again it would be very difficult to changes the site topo without affecting the verge in some way.

So, I have my reasons for keeping them seperate ;)