Thread: 2010 Shared Coordinates - Base + Survey Points

Login to Give a bone

Default 2010 Shared Coordinates - Base + Survey Points

The new developments of Project Base Point + Project Survey Point in 2010 are very intriguing to me. These might completely change the way that we deal with shared coordinates, & at a minimum will be very useful. I have two questions about them that I cant seem to find the answer to:

1. How do these tie into Civil3d?
    2. They do not appear to be available in an upgraded project file. Am I just missing them somewhere? Can they be added? (I know they cannot be deleted)

Any insight would be appreciated!!

Update: The Project Base Point appears to have assigned itself to a random user-created workset. [I would have thought this would be something on the Proj Info workset, or possibly its own Project Standards Workset, but thats beside the point.] I have now turned on all worksets & still do not see the Project Survey Point.
    Last edited by Liz437; 2009-04-24 at 02:48 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: 2010 Shared Coordinates - Base + Survey Points

In an updated file they are hidden in the view. Click on the "Reveal Hidden Elements" light bulb icon at the bottom of the screen and it will show up.

Login to Give a bone

I should have said I have already tried that - still a no go...

Login to Give a bone

odd... I have found it in projects I have upgraded from 2009. Maybe it is way off the screen and hidden. Did you do anything special with your coordinates on the upgraded files?

Login to Give a bone

I've even tried having only those two points on in the view & ZF; still not there.

The project is a very large multi-model/multi firm project. The way that we manage our shared coordinates is to have one file that every model is linked into & we publish coordinates from this file. Each model is on its own workset, which makes it much easier/faster for us to adjust if necessary. We also check the project info workset out to 'admin' to ensure the models cant be moved on accident. This master coordinate file is not the model I am in, {I have not checked that model yet,} but shouldn't the survey point be in every file?

Login to Give a bone

Liz,

Make sure that you have them turned on in the Visibility/Graphics overide under the site category. If they are turned on there then something else is not showing correctly. That should be it though.

Login to Give a bone

By default these points are hidden, and the light bulb should reveal them. This is true for any of our new projects created using our office template that was upgraded from 2009 to 2010, or any 2009 project upgraded to 2010.

You can make these points visible by default in certain views, if you wish, by turning them on in your template. If a new view is created from scratch, though (not duplicated) then I believe they will again be hidden by default.

Regarding the workset these points are on, they will go on whatever workset is created besides Shared Levels & Grids when worksharing is activated in a project. I usually create an Exterior workset in addition to Shared Levels & Grids when I activate worksharing, so the project and survey base points go on that workset. You can, of course, change the workset by simply borrowing the element and changing the workset in the element properties.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think any actual changes have been made to project vs. survey (shared) coordinates for 2010. They just made it MUCH easier to see what these settings actually are in a more graphical fashion.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the replies; I had checked all vis settings to ensure everything was on, all worksets were on & visible, fresh FP just in case something had been overridden, not cropped, yet still a no-go for the project survey point. [I know you are thinking 'She didn't check everything', which is exactly what I would think if it were one of my users asking the same thing, but I truly did!!] I re-upgraded the file & they were both there; on the same workset in the exact location I expected them to be. I did not have this issue with any other file I upgraded, or with any new project created using our upgraded templates. Possibly a bug?

I think you are correct patricks- I don't think they have changed functionality, just made them easier to see & for my users to understand!!

I could stop if I wanted to Teresa.Martin's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Liz437 View Post
    Thanks for the replies; I had checked all vis settings to ensure everything was on, all worksets were on & visible, fresh FP just in case something had been overridden, not cropped, yet still a no-go for the project survey point. [I know you are thinking 'She didn't check everything', which is exactly what I would think if it were one of my users asking the same thing, but I truly did!!] I re-upgraded the file & they were both there; on the same workset in the exact location I expected them to be. I did not have this issue with any other file I upgraded, or with any new project created using our upgraded templates. Possibly a bug?

I think you are correct patricks- I don't think they have changed functionality, just made them easier to see & for my users to understand!!
    HI. One thing to check, the view RANGE settings. If the point has a z value and that is beyond the scope of the view range, you will not see it.
    Best regards,