Thread: Copies of Symbols?

Login to Give a bone

Default Copies of Symbols?

In our project drawing sets there are symbols that appear in more than one drawing but represent the same device. Is it possible to create a reference copy of a symbol? The functionality that I am looking for is to be able to create a symbol, then create that exact same symbol in another location so that if you edit it on one drawing it will update on the other drawing. As well it should be viewed as a single device and not end up duplicated in the BOM report or other reports.

Is this possible or should we abandon this technique and use drawing links or is there a more appropriate way of accomplishing this?

I could stop if I wanted to RenataP's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Copies of Symbols?

Quote Originally Posted by tonofsteel View Post
    In our project drawing sets there are symbols that appear in more than one drawing but represent the same device. Is it possible to create a reference copy of a symbol? The functionality that I am looking for is to be able to create a symbol, then create that exact same symbol in another location so that if you edit it on one drawing it will update on the other drawing. As well it should be viewed as a single device and not end up duplicated in the BOM report or other reports.

Is this possible or should we abandon this technique and use drawing links or is there a more appropriate way of accomplishing this?
    If you make the main symbol a parent and all the other copies or when the symbol is referenced, make an other symbol but name it a child. This way you can link them or reference them back to the original and have only one device quantity in the bill of material. See how the coil and contacts are created to see the correlation between children and parent symbols.
    I hope this helps. If you need more information, let me know.