Thread: aia standard layer name?

Login to Give a bone

Question aia standard layer name?

my standard layer names are supposedly based off of the aia layering guidelines from... 1997?

but, our documents don't have layers for some things, and I don't know who originally had the book, so, if someone can just do me a favor and tell me the layer name for Fire Dampers (color, too, please?)

something like MHVDFD or something? I don't know... (or, do they prefer to lump that with meq?, but, probably not since mcoth is it's own layer and we find a fire damper just about as important as a thermostat)

I'd appreciate any help. thanks
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

All AUGI, all the time thomas.stright's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: aia standard layer name?

Login to Give a bone

Exclamation Re: aia standard layer name?

Quote Originally Posted by thomas.stright
    ooh, take that back, not 1997, 1990.
    Hmm, I am also using the short format, and I can't seem to find that many places.
    long versus short would be A-WALL or AWA. We use AWA. or instead of m-cont-ther it is MCOTH, And, evidently, we use them WITH modifiers, too that changes things a bit.
    ~sigh~ I'm getting a head ache...

I tracked down an old engineer today at lunch who helped set this up, and he sent me over the book they got this stuff from. So, things a becoming a little more clear to me. It doesn't appear that there is a separate layer for fire dampers. So, it will just have to go on the duct equipment layer.

Thanks for your help...

(incidently, one of the layering requirements before I HEAVILY revised these standards, was that there could be no more than 15 layers in a drawing. can you imagine?)
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: aia standard layer name?

Melanie,
    Currently we are placing the Fire Dampers on the duct equipment layers also.
    15 layers, how is that working for you?
    I am currently realigning the system here and layer are one of the a big issues. Believe it or not, the Drawing Management System manual I inherited 3 yrs ago lists 356 layers for our contractors to use, but as always, everyone just used whatever they wanted so the system was (is) just a mess. I hope for a light at the end of the tunnel...

joe

Login to Give a bone

Talking Re: aia standard layer name?

Quote Originally Posted by baechlerj
    Melanie,
    Currently we are placing the Fire Dampers on the duct equipment layers also.
    15 layers, how is that working for you?
    I am currently realigning the system here and layer are one of the a big issues. Believe it or not, the Drawing Management System manual I inherited 3 yrs ago lists 356 layers for our contractors to use, but as always, everyone just used whatever they wanted so the system was (is) just a mess. I hope for a light at the end of the tunnel...

joe
    I added a lot of layers to what they originally included. It was just too general to have all of the hhw piping on one layer. supply return condensate or whatever all on one layer, no thank you! They never formally implemented the program, either. Which is okay, cause I rewrote the whole darned thing myself.

we have the problem of everyone just using what they want to, but, that is only because we don't manage our own projects, that is done by corporate, and they don't give a rat's @rse about what I end up with, if anything...
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Technical Editor