Thread: Create a Dialog Box like Properties Palette

Login to Give a bone

Default Create a Dialog Box like Properties Palette

I know it is a demanding process to create complex dialog boxes with dcl. ( I've been there alot ) In adition to this tedious job, lisp diaglogs are very restricted that one can not utilize them transparently with autocad use.
    What I mean here that I dont think that it is possible to create smth. like the properties palette which is running along as you continue to use autocad. Or is it? is there any way to create a custom "palette like interface" with lisp or vba dialogs? thanks..

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Create a Dialog Box like Properties Palette

You can do this with .NET. There is even a sample palette with the available .NET labs.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Or if you want to stick with LISP then google OpenDCL. It provides a modeless / dockable / hidable Palette "dialog" in LISP.

I could stop if I wanted to msretenovic's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Arrow Re: Create a Dialog Box like Properties Palette

Quote Originally Posted by irneb View Post
    Or if you want to stick with LISP then google OpenDCL. It provides a modeless / dockable / hidable Palette "dialog" in LISP.
    This is true. However, if it needs to be distributed, OpenDCL will have to be distributed as well. Some may be reluctant to install OpenDCL (for whatever reason), others just may not want to take the time to do so.

Please do not take this as a jab at OpenDCL, they have done a great thing with it. I just wanted to point this out as I worked at a company that was reluctant to add ANY customizations onto AutoCAD.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

That's true ... but then would they want your code to be installed? Seeing as your code would inevitably be an "add-on" in itself, if the co doesn't want add-ons, then why would they want yours, never mind OpenDCL?

BTW, it's possible to add an OpenDCL installation as if it's actually part of your own program. E.g. anyone remember CDGPurge? It installed OpenDCL without anyone even noticing .

Login to Give a bone

Thumbs up Re: Create a Dialog Box like Properties Palette

I've been hearing opendcl and thanks to you guys today I took a quick look at it and found what I've been looking for.

Last few days I researched over .net and its interop. with lisp. The overhead inbetween lisp<->vb.net and most of all the learning time/curve... to sum up the effort needed to put in seemed to be an overkill just to produce user friendly "nicer" software.

I was about to give up on that so wanted to check on the topic again... now I'll take my chance with opendcl.

As for distribution; every framework has its own dependencies, its the same for .net: you need to download and install it first. Furthermore you need to buy a seperate compiler to build .net projects.

Anyway thanks again for your invaluable suggestions.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by irneb View Post
    That's true ... but then would they want your code to be installed? Seeing as your code would inevitably be an "add-on" in itself, if the co doesn't want add-ons, then why would they want yours, never mind OpenDCL?

BTW, it's possible to add an OpenDCL installation as if it's actually part of your own program. E.g. anyone remember CDGPurge? It installed OpenDCL without anyone even noticing .
    this is what i put in our acaddoc.lsp
    Code:
    (if
     (and
      (not
       (findfile "C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\OpenDCL\\OpenDCL.17.arx")
      )
      (findfile "OpenDCL.Runtime.ENU.5.0.2.1.msi")
     );and
        (command "_.start" "OpenDCL.Runtime.ENU.5.0.2.1.msi")
    );if