Thread: Bill of Materials Synchronized With Assembly Level of Detail

Wish List Administration

Default Bill of Materials Synchronized With Assembly Level of Detail

Summary: Bill of Materials Synchronized With Assembly Level of Detail would provide Flexibility.

Description: I would like to have the option to have a BOM in accordance with each LOD

How Used: When placing a BOM into a drawing, I should get a BOM in accordance with my LOD selected.

Feature Affinity: Drawing Manager

Submitted By: Sergio Duran on April 21, 2009

Default Re: Bill of Materials Synchronized With Assembly Level of Detail

Thumbs up on the concept, not sure if browser folders or some other parallel system isn't a better bet. LOD is being used as a mechanism to un-clutter IDW'S and improve performance by reducing memory consumption at run time. I'm concerned about circumstances of competing interests. What happens when you want s single occurrence of a part in several LOD'S? That's not to say that LOD'S couldn't be created exclusively for the purpose of BOM segregation, but the LOD process is tied with actually loading/unloading part data from the disk instead of simply attaching markers to the occurrence. I have in mind a idea of using the 2010 browser folders concept to group occurrences for parts lists. I would also like to have the ability to subdivide multiple occurrences of one part into multiple entries in the parts list. EX: Put bearings and their nuts/bolts/washers into a group that item #'s, in one or more parts lists, independently of identical bearings and hardware elsewhere in the assembly. Creating the groupings should be a browser and/or graphics window "select then right click" type workflow, not done in the BOM spreadsheet view. If I had to choose between LOD or browser folder subdivision, it's browser folder, hands down, but I think the best solution goes beyond that.

[Verbose mode off], sorry..
    Brian.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post

Thumbs up Re: Bill of Materials Synchronized With Assembly Level of Detail

I totally agree with this proposal!

It's fast and easy to compose exclusive LODs which could be used for different BOM lists. I'm in desperate need of the opportunity of different parts lists on drawings of the same assembly! For instance, when a single main assembly includes different variants of a product. Each variant represented on a unique drawing with a unique parts list.

This issue should be of highest priority for the Autodesk team!