Thread: checking files out of vault

Login to Give a bone

Question checking files out of vault

Hi everyone,

My company is running Vault 2009, AutoCAD 2009, and Inventor 2009. We are having two reoccuring problems with Inventor's content center and Vault. Maybe they aren't problems so much as they are hassles...

1. If we are creating an assembly and place new hardware (nuts & bolts) into the model, Vault won't allow it unless we check out that particular piece of hardware. Any ideas as to why this is? Is there a way to get around this? Right now we check it out to place the component, then immediately go into vault and undo check out.

2. When we check out assemblies from Vault to update and make changes, all the content center files are on the list of children and can also be checked out. Some of these assemblies are huge: 800+ unique parts and 8400+ instances. It's easier to go to "settings" and uncheck the "include children" box, then manually go and check out all the necessary components individually. My question is why is the content center parts even an option for checking out? Once they are set up that should be it, unless you add to the list. I mean come on, a 3/8-16 x 1 1/2 GR5 cap screw will always be the same! Is thers a setting that our administrator has overlooked for this?

thank you for your advice in advance.

Login to Give a bone

Talking Re: checking files out of vault

Put the lotion in the basket

Login to Give a bone

Post Re: checking files out of vault

Quote Originally Posted by broulo View Post
    Put the lotion in the basket

Congrats on your first post dude, but thank you very little!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: checking files out of vault

The lotion goes in the basket

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: checking files out of vault

how to post my own question on these forums?? i couln'd find it?? plzz help.. sorry for posting on the wrong place .. plzz help

Login to Give a bone

Post Re: checking files out of vault

Quote Originally Posted by kapilbaheti1983 View Post
    how to post my own question on these forums?? i couln'd find it?? plzz help.. sorry for posting on the wrong place .. plzz help
    Hi - congrats on your first post! Now to answer your question - on the main page before this (and on all forum thread pages) there is a blue rectangular button on the left side of the screen called "New Thread." It appears right above the list and again at the bottom of the list. Just go to the appropriate forum, click that button, and create your thread. I hope that helps you kapilbaheti1983.

Login to Give a bone

Question Re: checking files out of vault

Now back to the original question:

Quote Originally Posted by jlucas View Post
    Hi everyone,

My company is running Vault 2009, AutoCAD 2009, and Inventor 2009. We are having two reoccuring problems with Inventor's content center and Vault. Maybe they aren't problems so much as they are hassles...

1. If we are creating an assembly and place new hardware (nuts & bolts) into the model, Vault won't allow it unless we check out that particular piece of hardware. Any ideas as to why this is? Is there a way to get around this? Right now we check it out to place the component, then immediately go into vault and undo check out.

2. When we check out assemblies from Vault to update and make changes, all the content center files are on the list of children and can also be checked out. Some of these assemblies are huge: 800+ unique parts and 8400+ instances. It's easier to go to "settings" and uncheck the "include children" box, then manually go and check out all the necessary components individually. My question is why is the content center parts even an option for checking out? Once they are set up that should be it, unless you add to the list. I mean come on, a 3/8-16 x 1 1/2 GR5 cap screw will always be the same! Is there a setting that our administrator has overlooked for this?

thank you for your advice in advance.
    Does anyone have any ideas on this?