Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying nVidia? Maybe not

Revit Arch. Wishlist Mgr. Wes Macaulay's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Buying nVidia? Maybe not

The Enquirer continues to follow the plight of nVidia (and its users):

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...ad-bumps-worse

I have not burned up any nVidia hardware myself, but friends have. I have one Macbook Pro owner who has burned up 4 (four!!) mainboards doing Photoshop work from his MBP to his twin 24" Dell monitors. No gaming -- just professional work.

I hate to tell people to avoid nVidia, but this article is not happy reading.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Buying nVidia? Maybe not

Wes, you seem to know what your on about with all of this type of stuff, what would you recommend in terms of a video card then??? Ive been trying to find some info on what people have found works with Revit 2010 and haven't had a lot of luck.

Login to Give a bone

Ugh. I sound like such a ATI fanboy, but their drivers seem to work fairly consistently and all our Radeons and FireGLs are working for us under XP and Vista. That said, I recall hearing that on the odd occasion ATI users have got better results with high end Quadro cards. Others with Quadro cards are having no luck at all...

I really can't say what the best choice is moving forward. It's too soon, and not till we see a service pack or two will we know what's working best with Revit.

I could stop if I wanted to sultarc's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Those of us using Macs don't have a choice at this point. They all use NVidia's.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

It looks like The Inquirer has an ax to grind with nVidia. But I wouldn't let the article, or our resident ATI fanboy scare you off from buying an nVidia card. Although I've chosen not to downgrade to 2010, in the testing I did with a Quadro FX570 and GeForce 9600 I didn't run into any problems.

Login to Give a bone

LOL

If it's any consolation for people who own Macbooks: the Geforce 9400 does NOT appear to have the problem mentioned with 9600 in the MBP and other nVidia hardware. So the Macbook Pros DO have this problem. See:

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...-bump-material

We have a Quadro in our office, and it causes full hardware lockups with 2010 if DX is enabled. We have a Geforce 8600 in our boardroom computer (fanless, so it's quiet) and it's worked flawlessly with all versions of Revit.

We bought more 8600's for some of our designers' new computers (small form factor, thought the fanless design would be great)... nope. Revit would not open certain views. Back to FireGLs.

I think we'll see fewer compatibility problems as Revit continues its move towards DX and then people can use whatever they want.

Actually -- back in the AGP days I recommended against ATI as I could never get a Radeon that wouldn't drop lines in views. That was very annoying! I was nVidia all the way. I'm a fickle fanboy...

Hehe -- here's proof!

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=1172
    Last edited by Wes Macaulay; 2009-05-25 at 03:04 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Problem is that most people don't have the luxury of playing about with different video cards "until happy". We need a definite guide as to which cards work in what operating system with Revit. Having to disable hardware acceleration release after release is very disappointing.

All AUGI, all the time mlgatzke's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I use the nVidia Quadro 4500FX in all the computers in my lab (26 Dell Precision 490 workstations running dual 24" HighRes monitors) and have not had a single problem. That doesn't mean that I wont, but I haven't yet. Each monitor runs at 1920x1200 resolution and we DO NOT use the DirectX acceleration.

Login to Give a bone

Hey Mike is there any reason why you don't have DX turned on for those high-end cards? Have you tried autodesk's recommended drivers? It's not acceptable to have a high end card and not be able to use hardware acceleration...

Login to Give a bone

Mike, this doesn't help. Your setup "without" acceleration as you describe could be driven by a 5 year old $20 video card. What you are doing is asking a V12 500HP engine to power a lawn mower...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast