Thread: Revit 2010: video cards that work

Revit Arch. Wishlist Mgr. Wes Macaulay's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Revit 2010: video cards that work

A video card can be said to be working with Revit 2010 if DirectX is enabled and it improves performance in all views (or does not degrade it) and enabling DirectX does not cause serious problems with stability.

In this thread, please post:
    • the video card model and manufacturer (remembering that nVidia does NOT make their own cards: Asus, AOpen, PNY and others do)
    • driver version and provider (manufacturer's driver or nVidia reference driver or Autodesk-provided driver)
    • operating system and if possible, motherboard as we've found that this can have an effect on how graphic cards behave
    Note that on this page...

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...linkID=9240618

...is a list of video cards tested with AutoCAD 2010. Yeah -- AutoCAD. In any event, the hardware and drivers were tested by Autodesk and they may assist you in helping you get your video card to work with Revit 2010. This has helped one of our Quadro-based users get Revit 2010 to work more reliably. So use that link, and choose all tested cards for AutoCAD 2010 for your operating system. Filter out the other versions of AutoCAD.
    Last edited by Wes Macaulay; 2009-05-25 at 03:07 PM.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit 2010: video cards that work

I find the Autodesk and nvidia websites very confusing.

The Autodesk Website lists the driver version in the format 6.14.0011.7846, as shown in WIndows Device Manager.

When you go to the nvidia downloads page (I chose the performance driver) it lists is in the format 182.65.

Trying to download a partner centified driver from the nvidia website doesnt help either, as these are really out of date (two years old)

Any idea how to translate between these numbers?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Andrew Dobson; 2009-05-22 at 04:15 PM.

Revit Arch. Wishlist Mgr. Wes Macaulay's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

The 6.14.0011.7846 number you see in Device Manager would be called driver version 178.46 on nVidia's website: the last 5 numbers of the full driver version number. The last number is a bit confusing, but I would guess it relates to a 172 version driver.

The Autodesk driver is this newer than the partner driver (If I'm right!) and older than the 182 driver that would be the latest but not necessarily greatest.

Hope that helps!

All AUGI, all the time gwnelson's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I had posted a few days ago about the program slowing down after some period of time, observed primarily as delayed panning & zooming. Obviously graphics related (duh!), so I disabled the 3D accel and that seemed to fix it, but at the expense of the accel.

Based on Wes' starting this thread I went back & installed the factory blessed driver 182.08. Since doing that, with 3D accel enabled, I haven't seen the pan/zoom delay even after running Rvt for over 4 hours today. Fingers are firmly crossed, however.

Intel i7 965; 12 Gb; PNY Nvidia Quadro FX580; Vista 64.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Thanks Wes.

For those wanting the latest certified Quadro driver for Windows XP-32bit here is the link:

http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/winxp_178.46_uk.html

The driver is a bit old being from the end of 2008 but the latest that Autodesk have certified. I will try it with my Quadro FX1500 (which works fine with 2010 but is slower than 2009 with the latest drivers) and post results.

Login to Give a bone

Card: PNY Quadro FX 3800
    Driver: Nvidia 182.46
    Motherboard: Asus P6T deluxe (core i7)

The Autodesk tested drivers listed on the link Wes helpfully posted for this card are 182.08
    However I have not had any problems at all using the above combination (there is a more recent driver available from Nvidia but there seems no reason to update to it).