Thread: Associate viewport to a named custom view

Login to Give a bone

Unhappy Associate viewport to a named custom view

I've created a new custom view and named it cv1 and assigned it to a viewport in layout.
    I closed the dwg and opened it later. but i found that the named view cv1 is not automatically associated to the viewport.
    I've to assign the named view cv1 manually.
    How should i associate it to the viewport so that the drawing opens with that named view cv1 in layout automatically.
    ucsview is set at 1 and i'm working in autocad 2007.
    Any suggestions please.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Associate viewport to a named custom view

Welcome to AUGI & congrats on your 1st post.

I don't think it's possible to "associate" a named view to anything. You can basically only set the current view to the same values as saved in a named view. There's no such variable as a CURRENTVIEWNAME. Also by setting a VP's view to that of a saved named view, it basically just set's the VP's zoom factor and settings to the same as that of the named view.

At present the only solution would be to have some custom addon (like a LISP reactor) which changes the VP's as per the "associated" named view each time that view is modified.

Would be nice, made add it to the wishlist.

Login to Give a bone

Set the named view within your viewport then lock the viewport display. I think that's as close as you can get to what you want.

Or, are you talking about the "\V" startup switch which forces acad to open with a named view displayed?

Login to Give a bone

Red face Re: Associate viewport to a named custom view

Quote Originally Posted by irneb View Post
    Welcome to AUGI & congrats on your 1st post.

I don't think it's possible to "associate" a named view to anything. You can basically only set the current view to the same values as saved in a named view. There's no such variable as a CURRENTVIEWNAME. Also by setting a VP's view to that of a saved named view, it basically just set's the VP's zoom factor and settings to the same as that of the named view.

At present the only solution would be to have some custom addon (like a LISP reactor) which changes the VP's as per the "associated" named view each time that view is modified.

Would be nice, made add it to the wishlist.
    Hi, Yes it would be nice if there is a variable CURRENTVIEWNAME and thanks for your suggestion.

Login to Give a bone

Red face Re: Associate viewport to a named custom view

Quote Originally Posted by jaberwok View Post
    Set the named view within your viewport then lock the viewport display. I think that's as close as you can get to what you want.

Or, are you talking about the "\V" startup switch which forces acad to open with a named view displayed?
    Yes, that's what i did.. set the named view within the viewport and locked the viewport display, but it doesn't worked when i open the file again.
    And, no, i'm not talking about forcing autocad open with named view displayed.

I believe that this worked in autocad 2006 and i need to try this in one of my friends machine who has autocad 2006 installation.

Anyway thanks for your response.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

When you say it didn't work after re-opening. Are you meaning that the VP changes its view? E.g. zooming extents? If so change UCSFOLLOW = 0 inside the viewport.

From what I understood previously, you wanted to set a VP to a view name. Then if you change the view name all the VP's "associated" to that should also change? Unfortunately (as stated previously) no such luck at present .

Login to Give a bone

Thumbs up Re: Associate viewport to a named custom view

Hi Guys,

I've shorted out the problem, Default save is set at 2004 version in my system (maybe i should have mention this in my query) whereas if it is set at 2007 it works fine.

But one thing i could not understand is... why saving to a lower version doesn't retain the custom view.

Anyhow thanks for all the efforts you had given.
    Have a nice day.

Certifiable AUGI Addict ccowgill's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by aarkeykamal View Post
    Hi Guys,

I've shorted out the problem, Default save is set at 2004 version in my system (maybe i should have mention this in my query) whereas if it is set at 2007 it works fine.

But one thing i could not understand is... why saving to a lower version doesn't retain the custom view.

Anyhow thanks for all the efforts you had given.
    Have a nice day.
    it is possible that the prior version didnt support custom views, and therefore is filtered out during the save down. it is possible that it is a feature that doesnt have round trip capability.