Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: How often does your Revit crash?

Login to Give a bone

Default How often does your Revit crash?

I am getting three or four crashes (Revit 2010) a day and maybe a couple disappearances (Revit simply disappears without a trace and no error report is generated)). Is this what others are experiencing or is this out of the ordinary. Revit 2009 ran just fine on my machines so any problems I am having are not hardware related. Some of my files are called "Project 1 Recovery Recovery Recovery Recovery".
    Last edited by Joef; 2009-05-29 at 11:04 PM. Reason: aded revit version

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How often does your Revit crash?

I had a number of crashes with 2010 and reading some others who had similar problems, I decided to mothball 2010 at least until WU1. 2009 64bit no crashes.

Cheers

Ian

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Hey Joef,

ha, I feel your pain.
    I am persisting with 2010 against commonsense.
    I get 2 types of errors regularly, and constantly.
    The first one is a fatal program error that initiates the Recovery file creation.
    Revit shuts down, the Recovery file option comes up and then after close, the CER dialogue opens. To help the situation, I send 95% of the CER instances.The other 5% just kill me and I don't bother as am too p!#$$%d.

The 2nd message is an individual window draw error.
    This is the one where the window contents cannot be drawn and the window closes.
    This is also the one where 50% of the time the program does not immediately crash after that, and 50% of the time it will.

I note that the range of functions used at the time of the crash, bridge the divide of normal use and include family editor simple functions - solids, voids, parameters, dimensions, visibility of elements, while project environment functions include about 40% of main range tools and editing functions. So it is not confined to, or consistent with, a small set of activities or a repeated function or task. In fact the range of things being undertaken at time of crash is so diverse that but for the need to go back and try and finish a set task or stage, there could almost be said to be a condition / task reason, for every crash.
    So it must be really hard to connect the common crash reason / module, in the journal file segment, with such an array of crash events.

I have now tried a lot of NVidia Quadro drivers !
    started with 175.51 which was stable 100 % with Revit 2009- WU-3.
    Then went up to : 182.46, then 182.65, and now back to 178.46, which is the AutoDesk recommended driver for AutoCAD 2010 (at this time) and which an AUGI post directed me towards an knowledge base article to use as an indication.

Unfortunately, this has not worked.
    My crash regime still revolves around a 30 minute use cycle / range with edges from 20 minutes to 45 minutes. Clearly, there is something radically wrong.
    My machine is standalone and has enough RAM for (my) general use.

I note this because I have used 11 or 12 different versions of Revit and the last 3 with the same machine`(2008, 2009, 2010), so don't anyone be suggesting my machine is the problem please.
    These crashes appear to me, to be consistent with the sames ones in RAC 2009 + WU-1 and WU-2, which I think were related (in the simplest terms for me) to video memory. Of course, this was with Openl GL based acceleration.

I can be shot down here, but, my conclusion has to be at this stage, that Direct X and Direct 3D implementation is not correct / not working as hoped. I assume this is being addressed now or people are trying really hard to sort it out.
    I am sure they will given enough time. When it works out for the periods between crashes, Revit is certainly smoother with 3D Direct on rather than of.

When it is OFF, I find things sluggish and clearly, its rubbish to have to turn it off at all. It needs to be ON otherwise you experience....unsatisfactory performance.
    Now how that all works in terms of whether things are supposed to revert to Open GL if 3D Direct is turned OFF, I have no idea (and I actually don't care).
    I only know its a pig with it OFF and with it ON, its fast and smooth.

As has been indicated by others, we will have to wait for WU-1 and hope, that they have sorted then...I hope its not far away now..June surely ?

cheers
    trombe
    Last edited by trombe; 2009-05-30 at 10:10 AM. Reason: clarification

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Once an hour - no kidding. Xeon processor with12G ram - Quadro FX1700 video card.
    Last edited by barathd; 2009-05-30 at 05:15 PM.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

3 to 4 times a day for me... no particular routine to the crashes... also, revit starts to slow down after a while (memory leak?)..which requires a reboot to resolve or sometimes just a restart of program.

Certifiable AUGI Addict twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Weird. Weve got 5 or 6 people using 2010 all day every day, and so far only 2 machines are demonstrating any crashes at all. Those two have the similarity that the users are stretching Revit all the way across two screens, as well. (Not relocating ribbons and browser, but stretching over two screens).

Those of us staying on one monitor havent had a crash, sans an errant one now and again. (less than once a week).

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Joef View Post
    I am getting three or four crashes (Revit 2010) a day and maybe a couple disappearances (Revit simply disappears without a trace and no error report is generated)). Is this what others are experiencing or is this out of the ordinary. Revit 2009 ran just fine on my machines so any problems I am having are not hardware related. Some of my files are called "Project 1 Recovery Recovery Recovery Recovery".
    Oh Yeah! ts like you read my mind or should I say computer.

Login to Give a bone

Crashes 2 to 3 times a day for me.

Autodesk is blaming my .net installation. I'm updating/reinstalling all the versions of .net as I have time, but so far, no improvement.

Of course, other Autodesk 2010 programs and other company's programs that use .net haven't had any problem.

Bill

Revit Arch. Wishlist Mgr. Wes Macaulay's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

No crashes on my desktop (FireGL V5100) generally speaking, though I recall having one or two since I started using 2010, while 2009 almost never crashed. And on my laptop (Radeon X1400) I will usually a crash (view closing error, which may cause a crash w/ recovery option) if I run something else graphics-intensive like Google Earth. So I don't run any other OpenGL or DX-based apps while using Revit on my laptop. Both are XP-based. I don't know if Vista is any different...

Login to Give a bone

Since switching to the Quadro FX 3800 no crashes in use...

Vista 64 / Corei7 / 12GB / FX 3800 /single monitor (no Nvidia display manager running)

however if I leave the machine running all night the next morning I occasionally see a message saying 'Revit has stopped working' or similar, but I get these in Vista 64 for IE7 also... seems harmless.

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast