Thread: Data linking using existing previous extraction

Login to Give a bone

Default Data linking using existing previous extraction

I've an existing extracted dxe file based on linked data into a table between Excel file and some block attributes. Then I try to use this dxe file as a template for creating a new data link extraction table in another dwg file. The selected blocks for extraction and the Excel files are the same. When I reach the point of matching the index keys in "Link External Data...", the "Drawing data column" is missing only my index key in its list. The rest of the attribute names are there. This way I can't make the connection with the same key from the Excel file. Everything works fine if I start from scratch without using the existing dxe file as a template. If this is a normal behavior what's the point of using these dxe files as templates?

All AUGI, all the time Capt. Computer Crasher's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Data linking using existing previous extraction

Quote Originally Posted by lpl View Post
    I've an existing extracted dxe file based on linked data into a table between Excel file and some block attributes. Then I try to use this dxe file as a template for creating a new data link extraction table in another dwg file. The selected blocks for extraction and the Excel files are the same. When I reach the point of matching the index keys in "Link External Data...", the "Drawing data column" is missing only my index key in its list. The rest of the attribute names are there. This way I can't make the connection with the same key from the Excel file. Everything works fine if I start from scratch without using the existing dxe file as a template. If this is a normal behavior what's the point of using these dxe files as templates?
    Sorry, It has taken while to respond. I do not know what version of AutoCAD you have, but I tested your statement in Vanilla AutoCAD2008. I first made a data extraction from a file of blocks with a number attribute and pulled a count (a block with the attribute 1 has a count of 5, a block with attribute 2 has a count 4 etc.). I , then using an Excel speadsheet linked a cost column for attribute number and created a formula column of count x cost for total cost. I then created a table in the drawing. Next, I created a second drawing with the same number attribute blocks, then created a data extraction using the first .dxe as a template. It was as you stated , I could not get the number column to show in the link. I did notice that the link symbol was already showing on the number column (as shown in the attached dat1.png file) plus the formula column and datalink were not already there. I have never used a linked .dxe as a template before, so I can't say if its a bug or not for 2008, but if going from scratch you have no problem then that's what I'd stay with.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Thank you for the response. It's exactly the issue I wrote about. So it's not only me then. I'm using AutoCAD 2010 currently. I just wanted to promote the table extraction and prepare a dxe file template for the colleagues at our office so they don't have to start from scratch every time. They prepare the same extraction in different dwg files on daily basis. It's hard to force somebody to recreate the table from scratch when they want to add a block to their extraction. Thanks again.

All AUGI, all the time Capt. Computer Crasher's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by lpl View Post
    Thank you for the response. It's exactly the issue I wrote about. So it's not only me then. I'm using AutoCAD 2010 currently. I just wanted to promote the table extraction and prepare a dxe file template for the colleagues at our office so they don't have to start from scratch every time. They prepare the same extraction in different dwg files on daily basis. It's hard to force somebody to recreate the table from scratch when they want to add a block to their extraction. Thanks again.
    well you don't have to recreate the table if you add a block or two just update by doing this:

right-click a table cell pick data extraction and then update data extraction. this work if the data extraction is for the whole drawing. if you have used selected objects then you have to reselect and reset any formula columns.