Thread: Vanilla AutoCAD 2010 running from ACA icon

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Vanilla AutoCAD 2010 running from ACA icon

The question has already been posed in the thread "ACAD2010 or ACA 2010" regarding vanilla AutoCAD being launched from the ACA 2010 desktop icon but I've managed to take it one step further. The solution given for this problem was to launch the program from the Start menu instead of the desktop icon. This worked for me a couple of times but now all I get is plain old AutoCAD.

I've tried creating new desktop icons from the acad.exe file but it doesn't change anything. Has anyone come up with a permanent solution to this?

The program is deployed from the network installation for 64 bit Vista Ultimate.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Vanilla AutoCAD 2010 running from ACA icon

See the answer to my post on 2009-04-15 "AutoCAD startup icon for ACA2010". It was very helpful in creating a desktop shortcut.

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=99431 (this is the link, hope it works)

Login to Give a bone

Oops, I don't think I clearly asked my question. I don't want to make an icon to run plain AutoCAD. I want my ACA icon to launch ACA. As it stands now the ACA icon that gets created by the deployment is launching plain old AutoCAD.

Digital Delivery Director Brian Myers's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Have you tried typing MENU at the command line?

Then select ACA.cuix from this directory.

Sounds like the incorrect menu is loading....

ACA/AMEP Community Chair stelthorst's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by gregb View Post
    Oops, I don't think I clearly asked my question. I don't want to make an icon to run plain AutoCAD. I want my ACA icon to launch ACA. As it stands now the ACA icon that gets created by the deployment is launching plain old AutoCAD.
    Hi Greg,

Sounds like your acad profile has become the default.

Two things to check.
    1. Right click the icon on your desktop and look in the target field to see what profile is loaded on startup. The profile will be after the /p switch. For example. /p "ACA - Imperial"
    2. The next thing to check is for the name of your ACA profile. In ACA/ACAD go to TOOLS - Options and click on the profiles tab. Check to see what profiles are available and set the profile switch on your desktop to the ACA profile.
    I'm not at work and am answering this by memory so I hope I didn't forget anything.

Hope this helps,
    Scott Telthorst
    Quality Control Manager
    Helix Electric, Inc.
    www.helixelectric.com

Some see the glass as half full, others as half empty. As an engineer I see the glass as twice as big as it needs to be. ~Unknown~

Login to Give a bone

To add to Scott's reply:

Here is the Target string for the AutoCAD Architecture 2010 (US Imperial) default desktop icon, when using all of the default installation folders:

"C:\Program Files\AutoCAD Architecture 2010\acad.exe" /ld "C:\Program Files\AutoCAD Architecture 2010\AecBase.dbx" /p "AutoCAD Architecture (US Imperial)"

Note the /ld switch and the file that follows. That load, combined with an ACA profile, should get you set up "as ACA" instead of "as AutoCAD".

The AutoCAD 2010 - English icon ("as AutoCAD") Target string, for comparison:
    "C:\Program Files\AutoCAD Architecture 2010\acad.exe" /p "AutoCAD"

And, for completeness, for what was available to me as a customer in the United States at installation time:

The AutoCAD Architecture 2010 (US Metric) icon Target string:
    "C:\Program Files\AutoCAD Architecture 2010\acad.exe" /ld "C:\Program Files\AutoCAD Architecture 2010\AecBase.dbx" /p "AutoCAD Architecture (US Metric)"

The AutoCAD Architecture 2010 (UK) icon Target string:
    "C:\Program Files\AutoCAD Architecture 2010\acad.exe" /ld "C:\Program Files\AutoCAD Architecture 2010\AecBase.dbx" /p "AutoCAD Architecture (UK)"

There are other localized versions that, most likely, have different profile names specified (and may have different folder names, etc).