Thread: Documentum (Doc Mgmt) Anyone?

Login to Give a bone

Thumbs up Documentum (Doc Mgmt) Anyone?

Our company has acquired Documentum, an electronic data mgmt system. Also, the administrator decided to download the trial version of Cimmetry's AutoVue SolidModel Professional, Desktop Edition. This was after I suggested a viewer be added.

Being the departmental guinea pig', I am to perform pre-production tests have no previous experience with either of the two products.

Would anyone care to relate their experience and answer questions about either Documentum or AutoVue as it relates to managing AutoCAD files? ***Especially, tying revision attributes in a revision/ title block insert into the system's file 'version-ing'.

P.S. Less than a handful of you might remember a thread in the VBA Forum where I was investigating a home-baked variety of doc mgmt w/Access. Thank goodness I didn't go there!
    Clint Hill
    Thrive in '05

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Documentum (Doc Mgmt) Anyone?

I'd strongly suggest getting the Mclaren software for Documentum to manage the CAD stuff. I finished a Documentum install for my previous employer, and it was essentiall sysfunctional with CAD products until we included Mclaren's stuff.

I wouldn't expect wonders from it though -- it still worked best for archive material, not Work In Process. Fro WIP, we used Bentley's Projectwise. I;m still looking for the best CAD EDMS solution. It's a pity but even after all this time the old Autodesk Workcenter product had better CAD features than any of the vendors I've tried. The fact that Adesk couldn't make EDMS a success with their own product is a telling point on the complexity of EDMS and CAD, and the evolution of CAD packages to use external data (LDDT point files) simply makes the prospects of a _good_ CAD file/document manager more and more unlikley.

I've some experience as both a user and doc manager, having woked with Cyco, Alchemy, Bently, Workcenter, and Documentum products, and am still looking for a working product. No financial interest in any of the above

cheers

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by gerthjg
    Fro WIP, we used Bentley's Projectwise.
    Hi

My humble opinion, I wouldn't go anywhere near "Projectwise" and integrating it with a CAD system. We currently use it in our office, hopefully not for much longer....

Have a good one, Mike

Login to Give a bone

Fellas,

So all of this about documents mgmt software is , when it comes to cad, just marketing????

Do any of you who responded have any comments or experience with the Synergis Adept doc. mgmt. software?
    Let me know....
    Clint Hill
    Thrive in '05

Login to Give a bone

There's lots of doc mgmt systems out there, but what other packages integrate with cad (more specifically, the programs you work with) ootb? That's the difference between DMS and EDMS (E as in engineering). By integrate, I mean viewing, redlining, plotting, attribute extraction/updating, revisioning, etc.

We have Stellant for the company dms, and while it can be made to integrate, it would take a lot of extra programming/consulting and purchasing extra viewers to make it work. Rather than try and duplicate what the Synergis R&D dept has done, I bought their software.
    Last edited by Ed Jobe; 2004-12-13 at 11:45 PM.
    C:> ED WORKING....

LinkedIn

Login to Give a bone

'Super' E.,

I understand now. Thank you for your timely and substantive viewpoint.

Your insight makes me feel a little green with envy. Don't believe it - look at my headshot to the left.
    Clint Hill
    Thrive in '05

All AUGI, all the time thomas.stright's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Perry
    Hi

My humble opinion, I wouldn't go anywhere near "Projectwise" and integrating it with a CAD system. We currently use it in our office, hopefully not for much longer....

Have a good one, Mike
    Mike, whats the cons of it? They were pressing that when I was training for V8.

Login to Give a bone

Hi

I wonder why they were pressing it during V8 training.... couldn't be because they're both Bentley products (sorry that's the cynic coming out in me).

When I've a little more time I will get a list together (promise).

Have a good one, Mike

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by chill
    a little green with envy.
    I thought you just ate something from Fear Factor? I was gonna suggest you try some of my spagetti.
    C:> ED WORKING....

LinkedIn