Thread: Rendering Animations to HD

Design Visualization Moderator stusic's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Question Rendering Animations to HD

Aside from Blu-ray movies looking real good and having a 1080p tv, I'm not terribly familiar with HD, especially when it comes to using it in a project. Well that time has come, as a client has asked me to render this project in HD.

Is there anything I should know and/or do before rendering? What is the proper resolution? 1920x1080?

It seems fairly simple (i.e., render at a higher resolution), but I didn't want to trip myself up and discover soemthng I should have done before rendering.

Thanks yous guys

I could stop if I wanted to dellis's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Rendering Animations to HD

Not too sure about writing this stuff to disc but i do know that the resolutions are referred to like this HD=1280x720 and FULL HD is 1920x1080. I've been really meaning to look up this work flow from start to finish on dvd...hope this thread takes off!

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

That's correct on the pixel dimensions. Be prepared for 3-5 times longer renders and storage space. Some of our HD (full) uncompressed AVIs are around 4.5 GB, so work locally on those or IT will be banging on your cube wall/door. What post program are you using?

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

One other thing I've noticed with the move to HD is that even some of the high resolution ortho aerial imagery doesn't cut it like it did in SD. We've had to modify our camera paths to redirect away from those or they look like mush. Something to consider when setting up cameras paths...

Design Visualization Moderator stusic's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I'm rendering 1920x1080. I'm going through a few past projects and re-rendering them to HD to get a feel for it. Aside from render times two to three times that of normal SD, it seems the same, but (because I cheat) I notice that many materials and models that look okay in SD are only mediocre in HD. I haven't gotten to post yet, but I'll be using Premiere Pro CS3.

I will be working locally for speed, but I AM the IT department, so that stops me from doing things just because I can...

I'm not sure how I'll be delivering it, maybe through BR, but maybe just avi. I'll let you know how that goes.

Hey, I now have a reason to buy a BluRay burner!

Login to Give a bone

One thing I read recently was that you might get away with HD for computer presented video or a standard DVD player up scaled to full HD (up converted by dvd player to TV) and reserve full HD for burning to BlueRay with playback on an Full HD monitor.
    Steve Bennett |BIM Manager
    Taylor Design | Adventures in BIM