Thread: Paint Bucket and Tagging

Login to Give a bone

Default Paint Bucket and Tagging

I am trying to indicate paint finishes on a plan - does anyone know if/how you can tag a wall which has been assigned a material with the paint bucket? I have tried both keynoting and material tags, but both seem to pick up the wall rather than the painted wall face (I am using 2009). I would also like to be able to then run a coloured line along the wall in plan too.

I could stop if I wanted to brethomp's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Unhappy Re: Paint Bucket and Tagging

Unfortunately this is not possible, as far as I know. I too wish to have this ability.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Paint Bucket and Tagging

There is another way. If you actually apply a layer to the wall assembly, using the material you want and give it a really small thickness, you can keynote the material in plan that way. It's not ideal, but it works.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Paint Bucket and Tagging

Every work around I've seen has issues. Nothing is perfect and you have to choose the lesser evil you're more comfortable with managing.

1 - Put a thin wall type in front of your walls types to represent paint finish.
    Advantage.
    you can tag and filter in plan.
    All wall finishes for one level of a building can be shown on one plan.

Disdvantage.
    You're giving yourself a head ache editing things if the design is still subject to change. multiple walls to move/edit/join for openings.

2 - Put a wall sweep on walls to represent different paint types.
    Advantage.

If the sweep is below the plan cut plane, it can be shown in plan and use filters to make it represent various wall finishes.
    Should walls move / get deleted. The sweep will adjust / delete also.

Disadvantage.
    The sweep isn't connected to what is actually painted on the wall. Therefore if someone paints something different on the wall compared to the sweep, you will have contradicting data in model/3d views compared to plan.
    The sweep will need to be controlled via filter or worksets for other views, as you will typically not want to see it.
    It is also 3D geometry in the model. Therefore will come up with clash detection and will need workflows in place to ignore it during the clash tests.

3 - use a 2D detail line family in plan.
    eg the 2d detail family contains several line types of different colours. you can stretch the 2d line to suit the wall length in plan to represent the finish.

Advantage.

It's a family. you can tag and schedule it.
    All wall finishes for one level of a building can be shown on one plan.

Disadvantage.

The 2d family isn't linked to anything in model. Someone can paint the wall a different colour to what the 2d fam represents causing contradicting data.
    Walls move and get deleted during design development. If one 2D family isn't locked to a wall or someone neglects to check the drawings/misses one. Incorrect info can be sent out.

4 - A 3D view of each room.
    Advantage
    You can tag painted wall materials in 3D. If wall paints change. So will the tag.
    Disadvantage
    Every room will need its own 1 or 2 3D views. Rather than been able to show all wall finishes on one level, on one plan.
    Modeled walls tend not to be divided between 2 rooms if the wall type continues across the 2. painting the wall will paint the whole side of it across the 2 rooms. you might want different paint finishes across the 2 rooms. Extra modelling work will be involved splitting long continuous wall runs across more than one room.

5 - Every room has its plan view on a sheet. surrounded by its internal elevation views.

Advantage
    You can tag painted wall materials in elevation views. if wall paints change. so will the tag.
    Disadvantage
    Every room will need its own sheet. Rather than been able to show all wall finishes on one level, on one plan. This will vastly increase sheet numbers to awkward amounts to manage. Modeled walls tend not to be divided between 2 rooms if the wall type continues across the 2. painting the wall will paint the whole side of it across the 2 rooms. you might want different paint finishes across the 2. extra modelling work will be involved splitting long continuous wall runs across more than one room.

No method is perfect. everyone has issues. We usually lean towards the 2D family but as mentioned you have to keep on top of the inherent issues with that.

One other promising looking option is the video below for a plugin i came across trying to look for solutions for this issue. (called ARUtils).

Yet to try the plugin (waiting on the 30 day trail activation file) but it does make me think. If they managed to find a solution. then it is possible to do paint tagging in plan.