Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Late Binding of AutoCAD Type Library

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Late Binding of AutoCAD Type Library

Yes, I can, BUT,.....first I'm wondering what you're wanting to achieve?

I only ask as I've since discovered some much quicker and more efficient methods of selecting entities within AutoCAD, but they work with AutoCAD Selection Sets. I'll gladly share these with you if you are trying to select items from inside AutoCAD as they'll make your life much easier.

However if you are trying to manipulate AutoCAD from Outside AutoCAD (e.g. from MS Access or another MS Office app.)then you'll likely need to use the approach described in this thread.

Let me know what you're trying to achieve and I'll try to give you the most efficient solution I know of.

Cheers,...Jon.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."

- Kristin Wilson, Nintendo, Inc., 1989.

Login to Give a bone

Hi Jon, thanks for the quick reply.
    We have a large library of Excel VBA tools that interface with Acad via the AutoCAD 2010 Type Library "acax18enu.tlb". These tools are interacting great in Win. XP x32 bit & Acad 2010, however we're starting to upgrade or PC's to Win. 7 x64 bit & we can't get these tools to interface with Acad on Win. 7. when we run our VBA code from Excel, we get the "Compile error: Can't find project or library" & in the references it says "MISSING: AutoCAD 2010 Type Library" even though it is located in the correct path: "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\acax18enu.tlb". I tried as this thread suggested. I removed the Type Library in the references list & I changed:
    Public acad As AcadApplication
    to
    Public acad As Object

And got pasted the first "Can't find project or library" errors, but I'm now getting "Compile Error: User-defined type not defined"

So to answer your question, some of the tools just select an object and read it's entity data, but the majority of the tools do manipulate the object in Acad in some way.

Thanks for any help you can provide, I really appreciate it.

Just an FYI, I didn't write this VBA code. I'm just trying to help a co-workout, as he's to busy to deal with this at the moment, so I may need a little extra hand holding.

thx,
    Barry

Login to Give a bone

That problem comes from the fact that the code is not compiled correctly. Since you mentioned you are in the process of upgrading, I'd bet that some users are trying to use the same xls on xp and others are using it on w7. Correct? In xl, vba code is embedded in the xls in 2 forms - the text you see and the compiled code. You need to make sure that the xls that will be used on a w7 pc is compiled for that os. Open the vbaide, uncheck the ax reference and close the dialog. Open references and add it back. Now go to the debug menu and select COMPILE. Then save your project and xls. You might have the reverse problem if you try to run this version of the xls on an xp machine.
    C:> ED WORKING....

LinkedIn

Login to Give a bone

Smile Re: Late Binding of AutoCAD Type Library

Thanks SOOOOOO much. That worked perfectly, and saved us a ton of rewriting code...

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by barry.40197 View Post
    Thanks SOOOOOO much. That worked perfectly, and saved us a ton of rewriting code...
    Glad it worked. I hadn't tried those steps as I haven't been in that exact same situation.
    C:> ED WORKING....

LinkedIn

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12