Thread: Can Revit 2010 use more than 4 gig memory?

Login to Give a bone

Default Can Revit 2010 use more than 4 gig memory?

I ask this because I read in a forum somewhere that on a 64bit system, Revit can access a full 4 gigs of memory.

My system is: Intel Core i7 / 12gig / Vista 64bit / ATI HD 4800

I can push Revit HARD with a huge file, the processor will push 100% every now and then, specially during a rendering, but the memory indicator has never gotten over 30% no matter what I try... 30% of 12 gig = 4gig last I checked...

I'm just wondering if Revit is even capable of using any more than 4gig memory?

One more thing, I've set my page file to 800-800 just to force it to use the physical mem. I've also turned off Hyperthreading on the processor (not that this effect mem. - but worth a shot).

Any advice on making Revit use more than 30% of the installed memory?

Thanks for your input..

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Can Revit 2010 use more than 4 gig memory?

From what I know, Revit won't really make full use of multi-core processors, except during rendering. As for Ram, I don't think Revit has anything to do with it, I believe that's all controlled via the OS. We tried to do some testing on a Vista 64 bit set-up and if I remember right, just sitting idol, it was using about 2 gigs of ram (just to run vista)
    The other issue may be that your processor and or OS may divide up the Ram to equal parts ie Each core gets 4 gigs. Since Revit for the most part uses just that one core.....that may be your limiting factor.
    Just some thoughts off the top of my head.

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

On a 64 bit OS Revit 64bit 2010 CAN access more than 4gb of RAM. Revit 2010 is supposed to truly support 64 bit as opposed to tweaking the code for 2009 to run on 64 bit. That said Revit 2009 64bit on a 64 bit OS also reports available RAM at 8 gb on my pc.

Shorter answer...yes.

Login to Give a bone

I appreciate your feedback..

Is there a trick to getting Revit to use more than 30% of the installed memory? Like a tweak to the OS? There's no doubt in my mind that the files I'm working on would need more than 30%.... I'm just curious as to why it isn't...

Thanks again for your input..

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

You didn't say whether you have Revit 64bit or 32bit installed...if 32bit then that might account for it. Your VM setting ought to be around 24-36 gb (min and max the same value)...with 12gb RAM.what does the "800" you wrote mean?

All AUGI, all the time BomberAIA's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I have 4 gigs on my MacBook Pro. What ram setting should I use in Parallels?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

The 'system requirements' on the auto desksite (even though the link to it was broken) suggests that the recommended RAM for 2010-64bit is 8GB.

If I open a 15MB file the memory usage of Revit.exe is upwards of 600MB. I could be wrong (and often am... bless) windows task manager reports 'resident' RAM use. When rendering, as most will tell you, is the only time REVIT causes the processor to move over 50%. When rendering this small file in a 3D vies with preset ti 'high' quality with 300dpi resolution, the Revit.exe process takes up a little more (750MB) and fbxooprender.exe which I assume is the rendering engine uses about 250MB.

I am not certain, though I am pretty sure that even though task manager isn't reporting the use, there is 'opperational' RAM use.

There's my 2 cents worth.... Back to the draft, like a good horse

Login to Give a bone

It's going to use the memory it needs. If it uses 30%, that's probably all it needs. How big is the file you're opening? I've opened up a couple 150mb+ files at a time and haven't hit 4gb yet....

As for the i7, there's basically no difference with the Hyper-threading on or off. I ran some benchmarks back on Revit 2009 that showed an insignificant difference in performance. I'd leave it on just for other programs that may take advantage of it. It gives you a total of 8 cores which might allow you to run more programs at a time without hanging up. Just something to think about.

Login to Give a bone

Hi

I am running Revit 2010, but my renderings are taking way to long, Im talking a file of 3mb is taking more than 24hours. I am working on Pentium D.
    We are looking at getting a new computer for renderings alone.... so what exactly would I need to get. What sort of processor and with what Ram. I have heard that the Ram doesnt get used that much but it's the prossesor that is the problem. Please some one help with any information.

All AUGI, all the time gwnelson's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by shannap1311 View Post
    Hi

I am running Revit 2010, but my renderings are taking way to long, Im talking a file of 3mb is taking more than 24hours. I am working on Pentium D.
    We are looking at getting a new computer for renderings alone.... so what exactly would I need to get. What sort of processor and with what Ram. I have heard that the Ram doesnt get used that much but it's the prossesor that is the problem. Please some one help with any information.
    This has been discussed at great length and changes periodically due to advances in hardware. Please search this hardware section for a wealth of comments.