Thread: help with layouts

Login to Give a bone

Default help with layouts

I have been given the task of mapping out a floor plan in AutoCAD 2009. I have drawn the different floors on top of one another in different layers. Now I am trying to show single floors with their dimensions in a layout. Can I somehow save a layout from changing, when I make revisions in model space or a different layout?? Any help is appreciated.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: help with layouts

Hi, welcome to AUGI.

I'm not sure I understand but I assume you have separate viewports for each level so you can freeze unwanted layers in each viewport. You can lock each viewport so that it doesn't pan/zoom.
    What else?

Login to Give a bone

To clarify, I have each floor on a seperate layer, and each floors dimensions on a seperate layer. I have renamed one layout "1st floor" I need to show only the first floor and its dimension layers on this layout. Once I've done this I need to ensure that this layout remains in this condition, so that I can do the same thing on the layout I renamed "2nd floor" without the first floor layout changing when I am in the second floor layout and turn on the second floor layers. I want to save a first floor layout and a second floor layout that are seperate from one another so that the viewer only has to click on the layout showing what they want without having to turn the layers that they want on and off.

Login to Give a bone

Each layout tab has a viewport showing modelspace. In each viewport you can freeze layers that you don't want to see and it will not affect what is shown in other viewports.
    So, in the viewport on layout 1 you freeze layers that relate to level 2 and vice versa.

Login to Give a bone

Okay, so my next question (pardon my ignorance, I'm still a student of AutoCAD) is how do I freeze layers in only one viewport without freezing the layer altogether? I know how to freeze layers in the layer properties manager, but am not privy as to how to freeze a layer in a single viewport.

Certifiable AUGI Addict ccowgill's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cferguson2 View Post
    Okay, so my next question (pardon my ignorance, I'm still a student of AutoCAD) is how do I freeze layers in only one viewport without freezing the layer altogether? I know how to freeze layers in the layer properties manager, but am not privy as to how to freeze a layer in a single viewport.
    make sure the viewport is locked, double click inside it, use the layfrz command and select the objects you want frozen. Or while clicked inside use the vplayer command, or use the layer command and specify to freeze in current viewport.

Login to Give a bone

Also - whilst in paperspace on a layout tab use the layer manager but move across to the right past the plot/no plot column and find the "VP Freeze" column (you'll need to drag the column headers to the right to read the headers). Freezing in this column affects only the current viewport.

Edit: - actually, that's the same as Christopher's last point but amplified a bit.

Login to Give a bone

Thank you guys, you've been a tremendous help!!