Thread: Merging Animations

Design Visualization Moderator stusic's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Question Merging Animations

I've got an animated model, but the problem is that there are a dozen versions of this model, with each version containing different animated parts. I'd like to combine or merge these scene files into one animated model.

The first problem I'm having is that each scene has a different length, but all start at frame 0. I'll need to string these together to create one long animation.

The second problem I'm having is that each part has the same name in each model, so I can merge the models, but I don't want to overwrite an animated part. Is there an easy way to do this?

The best way I can think of that would do this is if I can copy the animation keys from one scene to another. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks for any help!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Merging Animations

A couple thoughts I had without testing:

In the master file, set the time length to the maximum number of frames needed for full animation. Then open each version of the file and set the animation to the same maximum frame number. Select all objects and then on the time slider select all keyframes. Slide them to occupy a unique portion of the timeline. Save (or save as to avoid tampering with the original) and then merge each version into the master.

When using the merge function, doesn't it allow you to auto-rename items coming in with the same name (this should happen with both objects and materials)? or did I dream that up as a wish list item?
    Steve Bennett |BIM Manager
    Taylor Design | Adventures in BIM

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

I think you are on the right track. When merging a scene/objects you can rename object wth the same name (or Auto-rename). Also, I think by just setting the master fiel to the max time length, you should have to reste the rest. Simply choose "No" when asked if you want to use the merged frame length. I would organize the objects in layers/groups prior to the merge if they aren't already.

Let us know how it works out...

Login to Give a bone

I saved the animations to an xml file and started to bring them into the master file, but the problem I've run into is when I load an animation of a part that's already been previously animated, the loaded animation doesn't seem to work. It will show the keys, but nothing will happen. For instance, if a part move laterally, then moves down later in the sequence, the downward movement won't show. I wish I had more time to test this before being thrown into the fire...

I could stop if I wanted to dellis's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

This might be a bit late....but have you tried xrefs for getting all the pieces into one file. I would have a main scene and then xref in the objects.

Login to Give a bone

Ya know, that didn't even occur to me. I'm not sure how well it would work though - most of the main components are constrained to dummy objects. Do those transfer over via xref?

I could stop if I wanted to dellis's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I'm almost positive that there aren't any restrictions on xrefs...as far as objects go. Will have to check that though.