Thread: Adding Lines to Surface

Login to Give a bone

Default Adding Lines to Surface

Here is a question for those who know how surfaces are programmed and calculated:

When performing an edit-add lines to a TIN surface, why do the lines no always apear in your surface, but appear in your surface definitions in the tool space. The surface does not use all the lines created (and that appear in the definitions) to build the surface.

Very frustrating!!!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Adding Lines to Surface

I find I get better results if I avoid adding/deleting lines or points using those commands. About the only time I use any of them is to use Delete Points to remove extra points added to a surface via things like "Minimize flat triangles".

As far as your data, it works best to either have your data points be Cogo Points, and include them in the surface via Point Groups, or to use an external data file to build the surface. Then use Breaklines to add fault lines, and Boundaries to limit the extents.

All AUGI, all the time brian.hailey933139's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Adding Lines to Surface

I agree with Sinc on this one. Just because you can do it doesn't mean you should. When it comes to surface edits, I avoid them, always. I never use them. In my classes, I highly recommend that people don't edit the surface but edit the data that goes into it. Now, when dealing with a surveyed surface, I strongly urge people not to use the surface edits but if they do, it's not a big deal. When it comes to a design surface, I tell them to avoid surface edits like the plauge! They will just cause headaches and you'll wonder why your surface is acting so weird.