Thread: Combined Lighting & Power plans & overlapping circuit/equipment

Login to Give a bone

Default Combined Lighting & Power plans & overlapping circuit/equipment

So at my firm we'll almost always do combined power & lighting plans on garage levels (and some other areas). Which is all fine and dandy until i started to do some circuiting and saw issues etween conduit runs, busway runs, etc and my lighting circuiting where they intersected. Obviously the circuiting isn't breaking because it will only break w/ other wiring. So then i guess i just have to use detail lines for circuiting purposes? Unless i'm missing something.

Thanks so much,

p.s. these forums have been a life saver as we work on our first job

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Combined Lighting & Power plans & overlapping circuit/equipment

as a follow up i saw this scenario which in my opinon is even worse to deal with. So i have some conduits (which i drew as circular mechanical duct) that cross over where i have a fire alarm strobe. The conduits completely obstrcut the view of the strobe. Is the only solution to create some sort of masking region in the strobe family that can be turned on/off?

Thanks

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

When you say "completely obstruct the view of the strobe", are you talking about being hidden under the conduit. If this is the case than your hidden line gap may be too big.

Login to Give a bone

Yeah that's what i'm saying, here's a picture of what i was trying to say. I'm not really familar with this "hidden line gap" variable that you speak of.
    Attached Images Attached Images

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

I see the problem. I was assuming it was something else. The detail lines that represent the fire strobe will not show hidden. Even if your view is hidden the conduit will chop up that strobe in fine view. This is the problem with trying to represent actuallity with readable "Schematic in nature" Drawings. I would just move the strobe out from under the conduit. You could make the F opaque instead of transparent. This could interfere with the circle it's in though.

Login to Give a bone

Yeah there definitley is that problem of REVIT trying to show everything "technically correct" and you have to fight workarounds to get readable drawings. Thanks for the help. I might try your idea w/ the text... I am also going to look at making a masking area for the annotation.. we'll see how that turns out. I'll post again with what i find.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

I hate to sound like an Autodesk employee, but that is a preference to show everything on one plan. You could just as easily create another sheet and show them separately and you wouldn't have that issue. Revit can be design to have intelligence and be flexible enough to meet everyone in the worlds personal preference.

Sorry I'm starting to drink the Revit kool aid and I've found lately that if you don't try to fight with Revit and force it to do things "your" way it makes your life 10x harder. If you adjust in certain avenues and accept that Revits way doesn't make your drawings worse it makes things go a lot smoother. Big whoop if you have an extra 4 or 5 sheets in your project. Extra sheets are not as big of an issue in Revit as they were in CAD to maintain.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by james.klatt View Post
    Big whoop if you have an extra 4 or 5 sheets in your project. Extra sheets are not as big of an issue in Revit as they were in CAD to maintain.
    Aside from the sound of chainsaws.
    R. Robert Bell
    Design Technology Manager
    Stantec
    Opinions expressed are mine alone and do not reflect the views of Stantec.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Typically, in that situation I will draw detail lines (spider legs) and insert the device annotaion and hide the actual device in the view. It is actually there but it will not show up on the prints. Something to think about.