See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Project Coordinates, Shared Coordinates, and the new Survey Point

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Project Coordinates, Shared Coordinates, and the new Survey Point

The skill builder for managing the survey point and sharing Revit files with Civil 3D via the ADSK file has been posted.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...linkID=9243097

Login to Give a bone

In the skill builder the level elevations are changed to shared, and in the demo their respection elevation heights changed to 836' (or something like that). Then the imported survey was moved down)

Questions: how did the 800 foot elevations get set? And, is this the inverse of relocating project (where in elevation we would typically move the project level datum up)?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by mmiles View Post
    In the skill builder the level elevations are changed to shared, and in the demo their respection elevation heights changed to 836' (or something like that). Then the imported survey was moved down)

Questions: how did the 800 foot elevations get set? And, is this the inverse of relocating project (where in elevation we would typically move the project level datum up)?
    The elevation became set when the values of the survey point were changed. The basically "pushed" the imported DWG up. Because the DWG already had geometry drawn at the 826' level and then the value of the survey point was changed the DWG was now positioned at 1652' (or whatever). This is why the survey had to be moved back down.

Project datums were not moved. Using shared coordinates in this way you can get the project datum to read the values you want without moving them around. Moving project datums can have mixed results especially if you have any geometry in the project.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jeffh View Post
    Project datums were not moved. Using shared coordinates in this way you can get the project datum to read the values you want without moving them around. Moving project datums can have mixed results especially if you have any geometry in the project.
    Jeff-
    I had a situation that meets the description for moving the survey information (file) downward. I was under impression that I needed to move my info up from zero....anyway...what I need clarification on is where to establish levels in my two files.

File A- Site: imported ACAD topo survery; used to create toposurface. Named levels that match the levels for my building, and moved the ground floor level to desired elevation above sea level by "relocating project" (I first "moved" the levels up which I think is why got elevations that were twice to high).

File B- House: levels and datum established; project relocated upward to desired elevation above sea level; linked into File A- Site and moved around into position. File A published coordinates, and shared locations.

These files actually started as one whereby the topo and builidng were together. I later performed a save-as and created the separate Site file so that I could move the house around the site.

Now, I want to move the ground floor level up and down during my site studies. I have tried to just change the elevation by changing the value in the level symbol but that does not work. I used relocate project, but that moved the entire project which is not what I want.

so what is the correct method to use for this situation? Should I even bother with having matching levels in the site file (i.e. 1st floor, lower floor, roof...etc)? Is it a matter of placing the building in plan, and simply moving it up and down in elevation?

thanks.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by mmiles View Post
    ... Is it a matter of placing the building in plan, and simply moving it up and down in elevation?
    After reading through the entire description of the problem, I think this sounds like the most simple solution. I have done projects exactly like this. In the skill builder the buildings placed on the site were created as independant files and then linked in and positioned exactly as you are describing. This should work out fine on most cases.
    Last edited by jeffh; 2009-09-18 at 04:28 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jeffh View Post
    After reading through the entire description of the problem, I think this sounds like the most simple solution. I have done project exactly like this. In the skill builder the building plaved on the site were created as independant files and then linked in and positioned exactly as you are describing. This should work out fine on most cases.
    thank you.

Login to Give a bone

This maybe should be posted in it's own thread but I thought it did apply here...
    I have a project where my "Survey Point" is at my 0,0 but I cannot seem to find where my "Project Base Point" is. (Yes it is turned on in Visability Graphics) Has anyone else found this situation where your Project Base Point doesn't exist?

Thanks

Revit Arch. Wishlist Mgr. Wes Macaulay's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

It exists -- you just can't see it in the view you're in. You may need to create a section off to the side that is extremely wide and has an infinite depth of view. In that view you may be able to find your Project Base Point.

Login to Give a bone

Not sure if this thread is still going but I want to add something. I've noticed that when I change the Angle to True North from the Project Base Point the position of the Survey Point changes. This seems wrong to me. Shouldn't the angle be set using the Survey point so as to not change the location?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jpolding View Post
    Not sure if this thread is still going but I want to add something. I've noticed that when I change the Angle to True North from the Project Base Point the position of the Survey Point changes. This seems wrong to me. Shouldn't the angle be set using the Survey point so as to not change the location?
    not even that. also the export to google earth output is affected by the rotation.
    seems a bug to me. (RAC 2010)

-rpict

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast