See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: by linked view - do you have to copy levels?

Login to Give a bone

Default by linked view - do you have to copy levels?

Hi I am linking individual site building models into a main building model and I'm wondering if you have to copy in the levels (and scope boxes) from each site building model to the main model to create views that use the "by linked view" option to show the foundation and framing plans as they show in their own respective models?

It would save time to not have to do this for each site building model that I'm linking to the main model for printing to be in one model. Just not sure if its possible.

Thanks

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: by linked view - do you have to copy levels?

Use of By Linked View in views does not impose the crop boundary alterations of the linked file on the hosting file's views. If you need to crop views in the host the same way as in the link(s) you'll need to create (copy/paste) the Scope Boxes into the hosting model. Levels in the host model should match those of the links so the host model is going to cut through the link correctly.

FWIW, if you're using a main model for documentation (so called sheet model) of all the buildings, that's not how Revit was conceived. Each building model should carry its own documentation. The fullest integration of elements and annotation is in the same model.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: by linked view - do you have to copy levels?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Stafford View Post
    Use of By Linked View in views does not impose the crop boundary alterations of the linked file on the hosting file's views. If you need to crop views in the host the same way as in the link(s) you'll need to create (copy/paste) the Scope Boxes into the hosting model. Levels in the host model should match those of the links so the host model is going to cut through the link correctly.

FWIW, if you're using a main model for documentation (so called sheet model) of all the buildings, that's not how Revit was conceived. Each building model should carry its own documentation. The fullest integration of elements and annotation is in the same model.
    I copied the scope boxes to the main model for the reasons you've mentioned. I understand that fullest integration would have elements and annotation in the same model, I'm hoping my scope is small and simple enough to where this wont become a problem down the road.

The levels are different because we want each building to have 0'-0" for top of slab, even though the buildings are at different elevations. I did not copy the levels from the linked model into the main model, I found that I could get the views on sheets the way we like with just copying the scope boxes. Again, hoping there won't be problems down the road due to the way I've set the models and sheets up.