See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

View Poll Results: Make AMEP File Sizes Be More Managable?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I definitely need this.

6 60.00%
  • This would be useful.

2 20.00%
  • Nice idea, but I would not use it.

0 0%
  • No, this is not needed, please work on another feature.

2 20.00%
  • This can already be done.

0 0%

Thread: File sizes un-managable

Login to Give a bone

Default File sizes un-managable

First, let me say I thought AMEP was a great product.
    Now, I'm not sure, since AMEP 2010 increases file size any wear from 3 to eight times the original file size depending on the version used prior. Looking at the poles there are buisnesses still using 2006. All using 2006, I hope your ready to buy more software and replace your equipment if you upgrade to 2010. I feel sorry for Waste water treatment plants, water companies, or any company that maintains a set of drawings dealing with large pipe systems.

I still have hope for this product. I just don't understand how AutoDESK could let this happed. Maybe they didn't think about it. Who knows. You see, the pipe portion of the product is the killer. Everything else stays the same when it comes into the 2010 product. "Bells and whistles are great as long as it doesn't stop your clients dead in their tracts". In my opinion that is bad buisness. I have heard major complaints from other power users about how their plans were blown out of the water due to the file size increase. They have asked me if I had a suggest. My only honest answer was "Be patient and try to work with it or change to a product that is consistant and has longevity without all the bagadge".

Sorry AutoDESk, no disrespect. I can see their point since they no longer can use your product for asset management because of the unmanagable file sizes. 935 meg models x 8 for 2006 users. Now that's disturbing. Good luck on finding a computer to run your model and using xref's does not help for real time usage.

Keep in mind I'm not talking small single building design or a small insignificat million dollar water treatment plant. I'm talking, a real world 30 - 100 acre treatment plant with over 10,000 drawings to maintain along with asset managment.

Mybe that's why all the government agencies are starting to change over to Micro-station Bently products?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: File sizes un-managable

It sounds like you have left SaveFidelity on. If you do not need to save the files to older versions, turn it off. This will reduce file size.
    R. Robert Bell
    Design Technology Manager
    Stantec
    Opinions expressed are mine alone and do not reflect the views of Stantec.

Login to Give a bone

I guees you don't know what settings are standard out of the box. The default for Savefidelity is set to "0" off!! The setting in these models I'm talking about are set to "0" for fidelity also. As for the file size increase. Autodesks East Coast MEP rexperts said it's because they add Female\Male oriantation to the pipes. I helps when you do your research.

All AUGI, all the time pauljordan's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Pardon me for butting in but, Autocad-AL, I think your response to RobertB was a little extreme. He was merely making a suggestion at a variable to look at.

Next, you start talking about a 3rd party product that you never mentioned in the first part of this thread. Did you ever think it might be the ECC software that's clogging up your drawings?

If you're one of the "power users" you mentioned, it could easily be assumed that you're not using the software "Out of the box".

It does look like this was a serious problem for you as it took you 6 months to reply to RobertB's response to your post.

Maybe you spent that 6 months doing the "I helps when you do your research" thing.

Hmm.. Wonder why no one else has offered any help on this topic?
    Give a man AutoCad, and he'll draw you a floor plan.
    Give a man Revit and he'll build you a house.
    Give Cadmama a couple of drinks and she'll have everyone singing Rockytop!

Login to Give a bone

I know that I've had issues with both revit and ACA products being what I thought was slow. Then I was upgraded to proper hardware (Win7-64 - 8Gb Ram - 2.5GHz Xeon)
    I don't have those kinds of problems as much anymore. However I'm still asking for another 8gb of Ram.
    Not sure what you're running for hardware, but knowing how big my structural models got, I'm guessing you'd want to at least double what I have.
    Also, how are you splitting up your model? I just got done with a project that was a 600ksf Lab facility. 400ksf dedicated to Mechanical space. I didn't here our MEP guys complain to much.
    Then again, they split the model up into little pieces and did all the coordination in navisworks since they could open a composite model in AMEP. To big to look at the whole building at once with all trades.

Login to Give a bone

When I wrote this thread I was using an HP z800 with 64 Gig of static, zeon Quad core X2, Nvidia dual 4800 cards bridged with 4 gig dedicated ram. 40 Inch NEC monitor and working live in AMEP. Yes and the leading edge windows 64 bit platform. The reason I never responded because I already found the answer 3 Hours after my last entry. No sence of responding to someone that has not been exposed to the problem. I was looking for true answers not guesses. Sorry If I sounded gruff but I havre no time to waste with guesses.