See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: offset by slope and grade

I could stop if I wanted to Hammer.John.J's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default offset by slope and grade

Are these lisp routines from ldt incorporated into C3D someplace or were they left behind with the abandonment of ldt?

I'd wrather not use feature lines or contours, we work with lines and arcs for non-corridor/offsite grading.

I just want to offset my lines and arcs so that they offset by horizontal and vertical based on a slope and a grade, like ldt used to do so simply.

thanks for any help on this!

All AUGI, all the time brian.hailey933139's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: offset by slope and grade

Not necessarily lines and arcs but the stepped offset command does work on polylines.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hailey View Post
    Not necessarily lines and arcs but the stepped offset command does work on polylines.
    that makes no sense though because traditionally you get polylines from joining lines and arcs or converting them?

so just to be sure, do i need to make everything a polyline and then use the stepped offset command to do what was a simple command in LDT?

how is it productive to convert my lines and arcs to polylines just so i can offset them? I think I'll see if a lisp from the old ldt can be found or recreated maybe??? probably a better avenue for the use right?

thanks again.

Login to Give a bone

One might as well ask "How is it more productive to use lines and arcs, as opposed to tools like Feature Lines?"

It sounds like you are pretty well stuck in a rut of "We did things this way in LDT; we want to do them exactly the same way in C3D". Meanwhile, there are different procedures that would have you working MUCH faster than you are used to in LDT, they just require substantially-different procedures, and an ability to change your procedures to take advantage of the new, more-powerful toolset.

True, this can be easier said than done. We've developed lots of checks into our existing procedures, and when changing procedures, we must also be sure to develop a corresponding set of new checks. And that can take time, thought, and maybe even (unfortunately) an occasional error. But once new procedures are developed and in-place, you can do things significantly faster, better, and more-reliably than in the past. It may not be easy, but it's worth it.

Login to Give a bone

Ok, so back to the offset by grade or slope. Where is the stepped offset in the menus or toolbars?

Michael

Login to Give a bone

Well, it definitely is far more complicated than it needs to be, but that is probably because i am not using it as it is intended to be used??? I read the tutorial here http://www.augi.com/publications/hotnews.asp?page=1564 but i cut to the chase and didn't make the surface or any of that.

I think the thing to do is get a lisp routine made or figure out a way to extract it out ldt. When LDT is abandoned and we only install C3D vertical... people who use those simple tools will be somewhat left behind, no?

doesn't seem right, making a surface to do grading is unneccessary for 2D plan drawings.

Login to Give a bone

In <2009, it's under the grading menu->Edit Feature Line Geometry or under the survey menu->Edit Figure Geometry.

In 2010, it's on the modify feature line tab, the modify parcel tab, or the modify survey tab. Click on edit geometry and there it is.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by 03xtreme View Post
    doesn't seem right, making a surface to do grading is unneccessary for 2D plan drawings.
    Using a computer in any way, shape, or form is unnecessary. For a lot of things, it is a lot faster though.

In your situation, it may be faster to simply draw your lines and arcs to create your contours but for me, it is far more efficient to have a surface.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by 03xtreme View Post
    Well, it definitely is far more complicated than it needs to be, but that is probably because i am not using it as it is intended to be used???
    That's difficult to say. It could be some of both. I think many people would agree with you that grading in Civil 3D is on the weak side, with lots of problems, and that Civil 3D in general is more-complicated than it needs to be. But you could also be going about things in a difficult way, when there's another route you could take that is much simpler and faster. That's difficult to say, without actually working with you directly.

And it could also be that Civil 3D is simply ill-suited to your company, and some other software may suit your needs better. It is pretty difficult to create an application like this where "one size fits all". I agree, there are certain tasks and applications where Civil 3D's models are little more than giant unnecessary time sinks. But there are other tasks and applications where Civil 3D's models save incredible amounts of time.

For some, the application of models is obvious, and brings immediate value. For others, it may take a radically different set of procedures to get anything out of the models, but once procedures are changed, the benefits are worth it. And for yet others, the models serve little purpose. Unfortunately, you have to determine for yourself which category you fit into.

Login to Give a bone

It's great for corridors and utlitities and engineering, no dispute here, we are embracing and endorsing C3D. It seems that C3D wants you to use a work flow that creates a surface and then contours, even though you "can" do the reverse from 3D polylines and feature lines, you're still editing a tin, generally... everything seems based off the site, the t.i.n., feature lines, 3D polylines, etc.

we use a workflow that:
    Trace->scan->lines/arcs->output (paper/pdf/plt/etc) we generate surfaces from polylines that get drafted. We don't generate contours from surfaces, that takes way to long to get all the points and slopes in correctly for the tin to be accurate enough to out put contours that match the reverse workflow.

This is why we're so frustrated that these grading tools are gone.

This feature line offset is similar, but to me offset slope/grade seems like a simple command such as move copy rotate, etc.... i just can't figure out how to do the same thing w/c3d.

Autodesk abandoned LDT so to keep on subsciption and up to speed with other verticles you really are forced to move to C3d, which is fine, except that good tools such as this were left behind or I'm not finding the new method in the platform.

thanks again for the help.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast