See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: offset by slope and grade

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: offset by slope and grade

If you don't need a surface and are creating 2D drawings then why does it matter what elevation your contours are at? Unless they are at 0 you no longer have a true 2D drawing.

For smooth contours I'll draw a polyline use the stepped offset and add it to my surface if the job has/needs a surface. Otherwise they stay at 0 elevation for a 2D drawing.

I could stop if I wanted to Hammer.John.J's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

that is a very good point...

we draw them at elevation so that when you label the contour using our lisp routine it automatically takes the elevation of line or arc and assigns it to the attribute of the block being inserted as the contour label.

This is also helps the drafters know what elevation they are drafting and one less step for the engineers to make a surface... it was no loss of time for us really because of the offset by slope and grade.

I got some more insight into this feature line and it seems our workflow will be copy our lines and arcs into a surface drawing and convert them to feature lines. We do a similar workflow now where they take our contours to make polylines and then a surface.

thanks again for all the input, I'm learning quite a bit from the discussion.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by 03xtreme View Post
    we draw them at elevation so that when you label the contour using our lisp routine it automatically takes the elevation of line or arc and assigns it to the attribute of the block being inserted as the contour label.
    I suspected something like this as we do something similar in our Microstation projects for site design.

With C3D the grading can be frustrating at first. After you pick up a few tricks and do it a few times it's feels better.

All AUGI, all the time brian.hailey933139's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I got some more insight into this feature line and it seems our workflow will be copy our lines and arcs into a surface drawing and convert them to feature lines.
    I would probably just convert the lines and arcs into polylines rather then featurelines. If you are drafting contours, featurelines won't offer much more advantage then polylines plus you could run into site issues. A lot of the feature line editing tools will work on regular ol' polylines plus ALL of the polyline tools will work on polylines.

If you have a lot of lines and arcs that you need to convert, check out the drawing cleanup tools in Civil 3D (not available in AutoCAD Civil).

Login to Give a bone

I agree with Brian. I would use polyline contours and only use the more powerful feature lines to define grade breaks where each vertex has a different elevation.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jpaulsen View Post
    I agree with Brian. I would use polyline contours and only use the more powerful feature lines to define grade breaks where each vertex has a different elevation.
    for now we are going to try and do as much grading with the corridor and daylighting sub assemblies, leaving the rest to lines arcs-> polylines

thanks again.

Login to Give a bone

So the stepped offset command in civil 3d is extremely close, the only thing i need it to do is recognize lines and arcs...

any ideas?

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

So the stepped offset command in civil 3d is extremely close, the only thing i need it to do is recognize lines and arcs...

any ideas?
    Change them to feature lines.

Login to Give a bone

I'd rather not... I just want the command to understand line and arcs, land desktop did this with virtually the same command you know?

I've gone so far to find this, but it's missing some important parts to make it "work"

Code:
    (SETVAR"cmdecho"0)
    (SETQ OS(GETVAR"osmode"))
    (SETVAR"osmode"0)
    (SETQ DIST1(CV_XLATLSPGETDIST(CV_XLATLSPPHRASE 61902"Contour increment")"""ER"0 0 NIL))
    (SETQ VAR2(CV_XLATLSPGETDIST(CV_XLATLSPPHRASE 61901"Grade")"""ER"0 1 NIL)VAR3(/(ABS VAR2)100.0)DIST(/ DIST1 VAR3))
    (IF(< VAR2 0.0)(SETQ VAR1(- 0.0 DIST1))(SETQ VAR1 DIST1))
    (WHILE(SETQ ENT1(ZZ_ENTSEL"AecCivilBase"0 0 NIL(CV_XLATLSPPHRASE 61904"Contour line to offset")NIL))(AEC_CONV_LW_TO_2D(CAR ENT1))(SETQ ENT(ENTGET(CAR ENT1)))(IF(OR(AND(=(CDR(ASSOC 0 ENT))"POLYLINE")(<(BOOLE 1 8(CDR(ASSOC 70 ENT)))8))(=(CDR(ASSOC 0 ENT))"LINE")(=(CDR(ASSOC 0 ENT))"ARC"))(PROGN(SETQ PT1(CV_XLATLSPGETCOORD(CV_XLATLSPPHRASE 61900"Side to offset")"""ER"0 1 NIL)PT2(CADR ENT1))(COMMAND"_.offset"DIST PT2 PT1"")(COMMAND"_.move""_l"""(quote (0.0 0.0 0.0))(APPEND(quote (0.0 0.0))(LIST VAR1))))(ZZ_MPROMPT"AecCivilBase"0(CV_XLATLSPIDFORSTRING 61903"\n2dpolyline, arc, or line not selected. \n")))(REDRAW(CAR ENT1)1))
    (SETVAR"osmode"OS)
    (SETQ PT1 NIL PT2 NIL ENT NIL ENT1 NIL DIST NIL DIST1 NIL VAR1 NIL VAR2 NIL VAR3 NIL)
    (PRINC)
    Last edited by 09silverado; 2010-02-09 at 03:02 PM.

All AUGI, all the time brian.hailey933139's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

any ideas?
    Use the MPEDIT command to convert them to polylines. You can then use the C3D commands on them. You don't have to join them if you don't want to. If you don't join them, you essentially have lines and arcs but instead you have single segment polylines.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast